globalsat bu-353 in linux

The gear needed for wardriving

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby wigle_me » Thu Dec 11, 2008 12:48 am

I am trying to use a globalsat bu-353 gps with backtrack 2 and a dell latitude cpi (233 mhz 256mb ram 1 usb port). It is detected when it is plugged in, but after 20 minutes it says there are still not enough satellites in view. Backtrack says it is configured as ttyUSB0. ttyUSB0 or /tts/USB0 don't work. Should i try it with a different version of linux or is it a configuration problem.

Postby littledave » Thu Dec 11, 2008 4:44 am

I am trying to use a globalsat bu-353 gps with backtrack 2 and a dell latitude cpi (233 mhz 256mb ram 1 usb port). It is detected when it is plugged in, but after 20 minutes it says there are still not enough satellites in view. Backtrack says it is configured as ttyUSB0. ttyUSB0 or /tts/USB0 don't work. Should i try it with a different version of linux or is it a configuration problem.

Plug it in open a terminal and do

Code: Select all

telnet localhost 2947
then

r
you should see a lot of NMEA strings. If you get r=0,r=1 gpsd isn't working. What version GPSD are you using?

GPSD -V

Postby whitedice » Thu Dec 11, 2008 2:18 pm

I use BT2 with a BU-353

My gpsd command is this..

gpsd_old -p /dev/tts/USB0 -s 4800 -K
I'm using and older GPSD which you can find in netstumbler.org, it is very stable. You would want to not include the "_old" if you don't have it.. Obviously.

Give that a shot.

Postby wigle_me » Tue Dec 16, 2008 10:55 pm

I am running version 2.32 and when I type in telnet localhost 2947 and gpsd, I get r=1.

Postby littledave » Wed Dec 17, 2008 8:45 pm

I am running version 2.32 and when I type in telnet localhost 2947 and gpsd, I get r=1.
You checked the simple things right? The usb ,gps all work.

As root do

killall gpsd
then plug the gps in and do

gpsd -p /dev/ttyUSB0
Try to telnet a again and see what happens.
Your better off to downgrade to GPSD 2.10 or use the version that Dutch posted on N.S fourms

Postby wigle_me » Fri Feb 20, 2009 9:55 pm

I downloaded gpsdold and that version fixed my problem, thanks for the help.

Postby littledave » Sat Feb 21, 2009 12:51 am

I downloaded gpsdold and that version fixed my problem, thanks for the help.

Glad we could help :P :P
Now go find 2 million new aps :D

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”