Submit via email

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby Chairboy » Wed Aug 25, 2010 5:36 am

I searched the archive and didn't find this, but if it's been suggested before, please feel free to roundly criticize my hat.

What about generating a unique email address for each user that they can mail kml (or whatever format) to and have a daemin that checks these accounts and adds the attachments to the queue with the appropriate user data as if they had posted them through the web?

The reason: there are more programs on embedded/mobile devices that can email but not upload directly. I use WiFiFoFum on my iPhone, for example, and I have to mail the file home and post it manually. Not End Of The World stuff, just a nice to have

Postby gpsfreemap » Wed Aug 25, 2010 7:05 am

Wififofum KML is supported, see list on Postfile page

Postby Chairboy » Thu Aug 26, 2010 4:38 pm

Please forgive me if I was unclear, I wasn't asking for KML support (I already use it), just suggesting the possibility of adding the ability to submit files to the queue via email in addition to the current method of uploading them through the web form. I apologize if I didn't phrase that correctly.

Postby gpsfreemap » Fri Aug 27, 2010 8:03 am

I think its pointless, who is able to add atachment to mail is able to upload file via web form. Most of wordriving programs are supported. Dont add another work to admins :) They are working on the site, not helping users to upload their files .. no offence

But yes, its another way how to submit files.

Postby Chairboy » Fri Aug 27, 2010 12:06 pm

Well, that's not actually accurate. I am unable to do an http form upload from my iPhone, but I can send e-mail, hence the suggestion.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”