wiglewifi Errors

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby rjsjr » Fri Oct 01, 2010 6:56 pm

Great app, but a couple errors I'm seeing with version 1.22 running on a droid2 with froyo:

Out of memory error when looking at maps
This seems to be correlated with how many map cells it has to load, zooming in particular will make this happen more often than if you stay away from the maps function. Can happen as frequently as ~15 minute intervals when stumbling with maps. Sometimes happens in the background and the service has to restart when you switch back to it.
Thread: Thread[main,5,main] throwable: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError: bitmap size exceeds VM budgetjava.lang.OutOfMemoryError: bitmap size exceeds VM budget
at android.graphics.BitmapFactory.nativeDecodeStream(Native Method)
at android.graphics.BitmapFactory.decodeStream(BitmapFactory.java:459)
at org.andnav.osm.DefaultResourceProxyImpl.getBitmap(DefaultResourceProxyImpl.java:65)
at org.andnav.osm.views.overlay.MyLocationOverlay.<init>(MyLocationOverlay.java:126)
at org.andnav.osm.views.overlay.MyLocationOverlay.<init>(MyLocationOverlay.java:114)
at net.wigle.wigleandroid.MappingActivity.setupMapView(MappingActivity.java:83)

Out of memory error when uploading files
This one is more rare, I run into it only once in a while. Usually after a longer run where it will write out the file slowly and then crash as it appears to be doing the actual upload to wigle. Occasionally the file upload gets confused and resends points it has before (e.g. 20100928-00001 and 20100926-00016 of my recent uploads), but I'm not sure that's well correlated with the issue.
Thread: Thread[Thread-2524,5,main] throwable: java.lang.RuntimeException: FileUploaderTask throwable: java.lang.OutOfMemoryErrorjava.lang.RuntimeException: FileUploaderTask throwable: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
at net.wigle.wigleandroid.FileUploaderTask.run(FileUploaderTask.java:161)
Caused by: java.lang.OutOfMemoryError
at java.nio.channels.Channels$WritableByteChannelImpl.write(Channels.java:387)

Application error when trying to upload while phone is connected via USB
Connecting the phone to a computer via USG apparently locks the file system, which prevents wiglewifi from creating the upload file. I get a popup error panel in wiglewifi and sometimes a full crash. If you then disconnect the phone it still fails to upload or uploads a zero file, but eventually catches up after quitting and restarting the app.

I sent at least one error report of each in to bobz, let me know if there's more I can do to help debug.

Postby bobzilla » Sat Oct 02, 2010 3:02 pm

The OOM's are due to some memory leaks in our code and osmdroid on orientation change. Dealing with orientation is a huge pain with a bunch of thorny lifecycle code. The next version will have them fixed.

If you have a device plugged in via usb in file-transfer mode, WigleWifi (or any app) can no longer see the SD card. On startup we will create a database on the local storage, and write and upload files from the local storage. Once the SD card is back to being usable again, if you stop and start WigleWifi it will go back to using the DB on the SD card.
-bobzilla - WiGLE.net just a little bit

Postby lonegeek05 » Wed Jan 26, 2011 11:35 am

I love Wigle Wifi, but I've been getting errors that my Wifi is locked up and it resets my wifi (HTC EVO from Sprint). Once this error occurs, it won't stop. I had originally started using Wardrive, but when I found Wigle Wifi I wanted to try it out. I seem to get more GPS locations with Wigle Wifi than I do with Wardrive, so I really hope you get this problem resolved. I'll keep it installed and watch for updates!

Postby bobzilla » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:06 am

You could send us a log when this happens. It's likely an issue with your device's wifi drivers getting stuck. You can try turning off and on wifi in settings, or rebooting the phone. It also helps to not have wifi networks with common ssid's remembered, I've seen devices get confused trying to connect to networks with the same name but different passwords.

Postby lonegeek05 » Sat Jan 29, 2011 12:33 am

Thanks for the reply. I don't think it's a problem with my phone, but here's my thinking...

Wardrive works fine, with no wifi issues. I don't seem to have any other wifi issues in any other applications or usage.

When using WigleWifi I only seem to get the error/warning when I'm in a dead zone where there are no wifi hotspots around.The message indicates says something like the last wifi update was 60 seconds ago... restarting wifi. Then it goes up in increments of 30 seconds as far as I've been able to determine. It seems that when I enter an area where there are buildings and homes (and thus wifi signals) the problem resolves itself.

Are you looking for new "found" APs, or are you somehow checking the status of the wireless interface? If you're just expecting to see new wifi signals within a certain period, then anyone going through empty areas might encounter the same issue. If you are somehow checking the wifi interface, can you explain what sort of return codes you're looking for? What sort of check do you perform?

Postby bobzilla » Sun Jan 30, 2011 5:22 pm

Ah, when there are no networks around some devices will call back with an empty list, some devices just never call back. Can't distinguish between a locked-up device, and one that just never comes back with an answer. Maybe we could make a setting to turn that feature off.

Postby lonegeek05 » Sun Jan 30, 2011 10:37 pm

Instead of checking the response, can you check the interface status? Since Android is a flavor of Linux there should be a common way to check the interface to see if it's "up" or not. I know how to do this from Perl, but I haven't dabbled in any C/C++ type coding in waaaaay to long ;).

Postby bobzilla » Tue Feb 01, 2011 1:33 pm

Maybe from the native dev kit. WigleWifi, like most Android apps, runs in the dalvik virtual machine which has access to the api's provided. From those api's the wifi is on (we turn it on if it isn't already). There is a wifi status that can be queried, but that is only whether it is on or not, won't indicate if the underlying driver is wedged trying to connect to a remembered ssid with a different key than the one remembered, or locked up from some other race condition/bug.

Next version will have the reset code settable to different timeframes, or off.

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”