Everything You Always Wanted to Know About Wiglewifi...

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

20 posts • Page 1 of 2
....But Were Afraid to Ask

How wiglewifi store points of ap ? First seen, best SNR point, or triangulating ?
None of the Above. All observations are stored in the sqlite DB (which you can pull off the phone and play with pretty easily).
-bobzilla - WiGLE.net just a little bit
When im scanning with wigle wifi, am I contributing to google wifi database (which refine my location based on ssids/bssids) too ?
that depends entirely on what you're doing, and your settings.
wiglewifi does not submit anything to google, and my android device has no google communications on it.
Does wigle periodically delete old discovered wifi APs after a set duration?

Example, if nobody has gone wardriving in a set location for 3 years, are the old APs still listed?

Or if someone wardrives in that location after sometime and detects new APs but some of the old APs are not detected anymore, are the old non-detected APs deleted?

If there is no mechanism to delete old / out dated data, it becomes useless as time goes by, showing alot more APs than is actually present. I know within my circle of friends we change routers every 2-3 years usually.
Does wigle periodically delete old discovered wifi APs after a set duration?
Nope.
If there is no mechanism to delete old / out dated data, it becomes useless as time goes by
Nope, data can be filtered :) For instance, the start/end year filter on the web maps. If you have the data you can slice it however you want, if you delete data now you've lost that ability.
Hi,

I noticed the filter earlier on itself.

An AP was detected in year 2008. Someone else drives by occasionally and it is even detected this year. If you set the filter to show APs detected from 2010 to 2011, does it show up or is it considered a "2008 AP"?

Am not too sure about the mechanics you use for the maps, hence all these questions.

Thanks for the answers. :)
That particular one is based on the first time seen, not the latest.
Hi

If I have 1 Wifi with a radius of 300m, and I keep going in and out of the covered zone, in different parts of it, at different times,... Will it result in multiple records in the database?

10x
One network record, many observation records, in both the local device's database, and on the WiGLE database if you choose to upload.
are cell site locations figured out the same way as wifi?

they seem bunched together when i have "only discovered by me" checked.
Can I filter APs in database by security(wpa/wep/open) ?
Can I see on the map all APs from database, not only current run ?
Is the result of db query limited to max 50 APs ?
I just started using the app yesterday. :) I love the sounds for networks, but I can't seem to find which one means what. I've heard a higher-pitched 'blip' as well as a lower one. Is one for "found network" and one for "found open network"?
the lower is "found network" the higher is "found new network"

-uhtu
Thanks! :)

20 posts • Page 1 of 2

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”