Hotspot database corrections

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby DaClyde » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:22 pm

I've been doing a lot of work at findagrave.com, and their message board has a perpetual thread dedicated to things that need to be fixed in their database.

In that spirit, I wanted to suggest that all of the APs in the database with the SSID of flyingj be registered as commercial hotspots. Flying J is a truckstop chain that offers wifi access for a price. Check out their website @ www.flyingj.com.

Maybe ppl could submit all the coffee shops, fast food joints, hotel lobbies and other assorted hotspots so we can get that data fixed in the database. Otherwise, WiGLE really isn't serving much purpose beyond the raw mapping.

Postby bobzilla » Wed Jan 07, 2004 10:36 pm

Thanks! I try to add likely ssid's to be flagged as possible commercial spots, i don't have that one yet. We welcome any additions that others know of. Also note that individual points can be marked as commercial nets on the db update page.

We obviously can't attest to the accuracy, but in practice it seems to work ok.

Postby DaClyde » Thu Jan 08, 2004 2:41 am

I'd seen the update option, but updating hundreds of AP records one at a time seemed a bit daunting when you could probably just run a query on the SSID straight on the database and change them all at once.

Postby uhtu » Thu Jan 08, 2004 3:52 am

mmmm... raw mapping...

Postby bobzilla » Thu Jan 08, 2004 10:16 pm

Agreed, especially since we already auto-mark a bunch of them. :) Like I said, any more that anyone finds out about, let us know.

Postby Ceer123 » Thu Feb 19, 2004 8:22 pm

Do you guys have a list of the commonly known free and commercial hotspots (SSID's)? That would be cool.

Thanks...

Postby bobzilla » Thu Feb 19, 2004 10:03 pm

Yup, on the wiki:

http://wigle.net/wiki/index.cgi?CommercialSSID

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”