Would an Alfa R36 w/ a AWUS036H work w/ Wigle Android app?

The gear needed for wardriving

4 posts • Page 1 of 1
I've spent several hours today hitting my head against the wall trying to get a bunch of things configured without luck: Raspberry Pi w/ Raspbian & Kismet, Raspberry Pi w/ Kali & Kismet, Ubuntu & Kismet, Kismac and a bunch of other stuff. The key hardware I'm using is an Alfa AWUS036H and a BU-353 GPS.

Anyhow - thinking about other options, would an Alfa R36 w/ a AWUS036H work w/ the Wigle Android app on an Android phone? In other words, having the Android phone use the AWUS036H through the R36. I'm assuming the Alfa R36 would need to be bridged to the phone.
546-R36_illustration0.gif
Alfa R36 w/ a AWUS036H
546-R36_illustration0.gif (41.65 KiB) Viewed 16065 times
Any thoughts about this?
I've spent several hours today hitting my head against the wall trying to get a bunch of things configured without luck

Any thoughts about this?
You're on the right track, although it is possible to get an external Wifi adapter working on Android it can be very difficult and time consuming.

I'd suggest to go further with you Raspberry Pi using Raspbian, my Alfa AWUS036H was detected at first installation.

You didn't mention were you got stuck, if it's your BU-353 GPS the Raspberry Pi Forum is very active and bet they can help you at one of the Raspberry Pi Forums.
I've spent several hours today hitting my head against the wall trying to get a bunch of things configured without luck

Any thoughts about this?
You're on the right track, although it is possible to get an external Wifi adapter working on Android it can be very difficult and time consuming.

I'd suggest to go further with you Raspberry Pi using Raspbian, my Alfa AWUS036H was detected at first installation.

You didn't mention were you got stuck, if it's your BU-353 GPS the Raspberry Pi Forum is very active and bet they can help you at one of the Raspberry Pi Forums.
Hi - thanks for your quick response.

Yeah - I'm stuck on getting my BU-353 running consistently and talking to Kismet. Kismet's running great, but the BU-353 sometimes works, sometimes doesn't, sometimes has the wrong date (via xgps), sometimes sees a lot of satellites but doesn't seem to update them. The BU-353 (at some point) had been running in binary mode (visible through "stty -F /dev/ttyUSB0 ispeed 4800 && cat </dev/ttyUSB0"), but switching it to ascii didn't seem to fix it. I'll follow up on the RPI forums.

I'm running:
Raspbian - Linux version 3.6.11+ (dc4@dc4-arm-01) gcc version 4.7.2 20120731
kismet_server 2008.05.R1
gpsd 3.6
GPS Waterproof Receiver BU-353 SiRF Star III Enabled USB GPS Receiver w/LED indicator
NewTrent IMP120D power supply @ 2.1A
(have run with and without a powered USB hub - thought the USB bus might be low on current)
Raspberry Pi v2 board
bu353.jpg
bu353.jpg (25.79 KiB) Viewed 16001 times
I've got Kismet up with the Alfa AWUS036H, and the BU-353 up (visible through cgps and xgps), but Kismet and the GPS aren't connecting.

After digging around, I think the problem is with the version of Kismet I'm running - apt-get on the Pi seems to install kismet_server 2008.05.R1 - and the current version (or the most recent version of kismet, and I assume kismet_server) is 2013.03.R1b - about five years newer.

I was thinking that the interface looked different than some of the examples I had seen:

My screen was looking like this:

While the examples I had seen looked more like this:

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”