Slow scan speeds on Android.

The gear needed for wardriving

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby RJ McKenzi » Thu Jul 31, 2014 1:48 pm

Why does my phone scan so slow. It normally scans around 3500 ms. I have ask the settings set to they lowest possible but it still doesn't work. I have had other phones scan at 800 ms before. So why would a newer phone scan at such a low speed.

I'm using a Verizon Note 3.
Last edited by RJ McKenzi on Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:12 am, edited 1 time in total.

Postby RJ McKenzi » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:00 am

I think I have the slow scan speeds figured out. It's the 5ghz scanning that is slowing up the phone. On my Note 2 and Note 3 Samsung has disabled the option to turn off 5ghz WiFi. On my old Galaxy Nexus I can turn off 5ghz WiFi and it helps out a ton. Getting around 450ms scan time now and much more networks are being found, even on the same route I take for work every day. I found 100 new networks on one trip alone today.

Could there be a way to have Wigle not scan the 5ghz in Wigles settings? Especially for us idiots who bought a locked down device?

Postby RJ McKenzi » Tue Aug 12, 2014 2:11 am

I did a side by side test with my Note 3 and Galaxy Nexus. One is a newer phone and the other isn't. One is locked down and won't allow you to change the 5ghz settings and the other isn't.

Note 3 : 429 networks
Galaxy Nexus : 842 networks

The results are clear, scanning for the 5ghz slows down scanning and decreases the range from the looks of it. The Note 3 on a route I already have scanned on before (around 4 or 5 times now) found 10 new networks, on the other hand the Galaxy Nexus found 121 new networks.

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”