WiGLE: a new look

The frontpage news bits

16 posts • Page 1 of 2

Postby arkasha » Sat Nov 08, 2014 11:57 pm

Finally exchanging the vintage 2006 look for something a little more modern/interactive. All feedback welcome, and please don't hesitate to report bugs using the forums!

Postby pejacoby » Sun Nov 09, 2014 2:30 am

Nice new look! There seem to be a variety of links to the old-style pages, I've ended up on the old Uploads page a few times, and my iPhone showed the old-style main page. On my MacBook Pro (10.9.5) just now using Safari, the main page prompted over and over again (at least 6 times) to allow wigle.net access to my current location until I gave up and granted it for a day.
I'll try to keep better track of where I got diverted to the old-look -- I am pretty sure it was after uploading a new file and clicking one of the page header links.

Postby TROMOS » Sun Nov 09, 2014 5:44 pm

I can't find a way to set map defaults with this new look. Is there a way to get back to the old pages?

Postby arkasha » Sun Nov 09, 2014 6:18 pm

the old site is still available at https://wigle.net/gps/gps/main

Postby arkasha » Mon Nov 10, 2014 12:07 am

hah, I don't think we realized that people were ever using the set-map-defaults command. We'll get on adding that back in.

re: uploads, that makes sense; we're still directing to the old upload target. we'll get on it!

Cheers, and thanks for the feedback

Postby d2k2 » Mon Nov 10, 2014 6:39 am

nice!!

but 2 things:

- set map default
- search in Map does not work (the field inside the map, bottom left corner) where i can enter a city name, it does not take me to the city...

Postby arkasha » Mon Nov 10, 2014 7:14 am

Good catch - not sure how the search box got broken, but it's fixed now!
We're working on adding default map config, although in the meantime, note that the map page - https://wigle.net/map - updates the URL dynamically, so you can save the link to the map you want (the front-page map is a little more limited)

Cheers, and thanks for the feedback!

Postby arkasha » Tue Nov 11, 2014 2:43 am

pleased to report that the safari location "bounce" bug should be fixed, although a force-refresh of JS assets may be required to get the fix.

Postby arkasha » Wed Nov 12, 2014 6:39 am

Fixed load-default for the maps page. I didn't roll this forward to the front page (what do folks think of this?)
Still need to re-add set-default, as well as update form on load.

Postby pejacoby » Fri Nov 14, 2014 5:36 pm

[quote="arkasha"]pleased to report that the safari location "bounce" bug should be fixed, although a force-refresh of JS assets may be required to get the fix.[/quote]

I am still getting asked repeatedly to allow access to Location using Safari 7.1 under OS X 10.9.5. I have to click "Allow for one day" to stop the repeated prompts. What's the best way to force-refresh the javascript?

Postby arkasha » Fri Nov 14, 2014 11:52 pm

Oh man, sorry. That can be really annoying; I'm pretty sure we've got it fixed in the deployed site, although Safari is aggressive about holding on to cached copies.

For Safari, you can either empty cached content via the preferences panel, or navigate to any non-map page on WiGLE (e.g. https://wigle.net/stats ) and then try:

CMD+OPTION+E (to empty the cache) and then CMD+R (to refresh)

Postby pejacoby » Sat Nov 15, 2014 3:05 pm

I love the solution ;-) Or maybe I'm just not getting my javascript to update...

if ( (ua.indexOf('safari') != -1) && (ua.indexOf('chrome')== -1)) {
WiGLE.defaultLoc = false;
console.log("Dear Safari Users: you don't get geolocation because your browser is horrible");
} else {
navigator.geolocation.getCurrentPosition(function (position) {

Postby arkasha » Sun Nov 16, 2014 9:57 pm

The perils of attempting the release when I have a more-than-full-time job. Basically, this is going to be one of those obnoxious bugs that will take hours to unravel. Blocking location calls on Safari is something I can do over lunch. I will dig back in eventually, but having seen how annoying the modals in Safari are about this, disabling is pretty necessary in the short term.

To catalog what we've learned so far: removing the logging call made it harder (but not impossible) to reproduce in the previous iteration; using a fast machine, I was convinced I'd addressed it, however on slower machines, it still pops up. It's something within the google maps API's calls, and only happens when we include our overlay tiles.

More to follow!

Postby pejacoby » Mon Nov 17, 2014 2:40 am

Effort absolutely understood and appreciated. I'm a big fan of snarky console messages in situations like this, I often browse through console.log to see how various apps curse at the OS in interesting ways!

Postby Launcelot » Tue Dec 16, 2014 11:34 pm

I am not exactly sure were to report a possible bug with the new web page, but will try here.

When I try to use GSM or CDMA filters, it doesn't seem to work.

Are there any other filters in the works? Maybe any 3G, 3.5G, LTE, LTE-A?

16 posts • Page 1 of 2

Return to “WiGLE Frontpage”