New to WiGLE

Wardrivers: find others in your area

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby Mysterblue » Sun Dec 15, 2013 12:24 pm

Mods, please move this post to the appropriate intro forum if I got this wrong.

Hello, MysterBlue here. I am brand new to the WiGLE project, and have been collecting and uploading data for 2 days from the Android client. So far, I am loving the ability to see the networks that I pass as I drive by them. I am a taxi driver on Bainbridge Island, WA, and as such, I put up to 25 [edit: 250] miles behind me each and every day. I hope that the data I submit is useful to someone other than myself and the person who introduced me to the Project.

Also, as a side note, I am an avid seeder for http://www.wheresgeorge.com, (I hope outside URLs aren't forbidden on this forum, if so, I apologize.) so, if you take a cab on the Island and you get a stack of of bills with the Where's George stamp on them, I can say with certainty that you have met me :-D
Last edited by Mysterblue on Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:30 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby dattaway » Mon Dec 16, 2013 7:41 pm

I wish I got paid to drive around! Sometimes I drive for a few hours just to see how many I can get.

I found a few tricks that at least doubled my Android locations: placing the phone upside down so the antenna on the bottom faces up, and in the area of the windshield. Also, the newer phones pick up the 5GHz band and many routers operate both, giving out an extra MAC address for each.

Postby Mysterblue » Sun Dec 22, 2013 12:44 pm

I wish I could say that it is not as lucrative as it sounds, but I just netted $830.00 during my 3 day work week. I have been trying to find a reason to quit my job and move on, but I am more than adequately providing for my family.

Anywho, I will continue to provide WiGLE with my findings on the island.

Merry Christmas, Happy Chanukah, and Joyous Kwanzaa to all (sorry if I missed your holiday, I can't keep them straight any more)

Postby Wolfess » Sat Sep 06, 2014 11:38 pm

I wish I got paid to drive around! Sometimes I drive for a few hours just to see how many I can get.

I found a few tricks that at least doubled my Android locations: placing the phone upside down so the antenna on the bottom faces up, and in the area of the windshield. Also, the newer phones pick up the 5GHz band and many routers operate both, giving out an extra MAC address for each.
I have a wifi antenna and mag mount from L-com I have on the roof, the 6 inches and 5dbi plus the ground plane from the roof pull in a huge signal from everything. Just gotta figure out a way to setup a software on my laptop that can use my usb gps puck with that to make loggings.

Postby Didz » Sat Dec 27, 2014 6:02 am

I found putting it on the dash better too but couldn't turn it upside down otherwise its way to slippery and falls off going round a corner. A windscreen mount would be better.
Also if you have a dashcam it keeps it in view so there's proof you didn't use the phone if you get into trouble.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Stumbler Meet and Greet”