Map Printout readability

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby 32894156 » Fri Sep 09, 2016 6:44 pm

I print out the maps in order to help guide me on wardriving runs. Originally I used <CTRL>-P, which stopped operating correctly many months ago, and hasn't been repaired. I shifted to using <CTRL>-<PRT SC>, and then editing the resulting image using Google-Paint.
The problem is that the resulting pictures, when printed out, are VERY hard to read. In color, they are a (very light) blue background, with the roads being shown as white. I virtually cannot read them. Printing them out in black-and-white is just a little better, but I'd prefer the additional information available in the color printout.
How can this be changed so the position of the roadways are much clearer?

Also, I'd like to change the map backgrounds to pure white, to save ink, with the roadways being some distinctive, legible color, but one that doesn't obscure the road name labels. How can I do that? Maybe light brown, but I still don't know how to do that.

Finally, I'm considering changing from my Moto X Android wardriving device (my phone) to a Windows laptop: I assume I'd have to add a GPS dongle of some type, at the end of a short cable, and presumably also add a WiFi detector dongle as well. (I won't want to rely on the laptop's WiFi, since its position in the car will not be optimum.) What can I do?

Postby Andr0idian » Mon Sep 12, 2016 5:08 am

I also use paper maps to plan a route around places that I haven't gone over yet. ... and there's a couple different people that'll suggest different things, and it depends on your budget really.

My full wigle gear consists of
my phone (Moto X Play ... which puts itself to sleep and only does an intermittent scan unless I lock the screen on and keep the app on the main page)

My Raspberry Pi 3 - with a GPS unit, $10 uBlox Neo-6M off of ebay - running Kismet Server
and my old Dlink 835, running open-wrt and Kismet drone (... a version from 2013, all others don't work.)

Straight up, if I were to redo this, I'd probably drop the rpi and just use the dlink router with a USB stick. It has a serial in and power for the GPS - just needs some wiring. I pick up about 50% more on it than I do with the rpi.

But if you want to use your laptop to do scanning, I think I saw a gpsd app on the app store a while back. Might be worth looking into?

Postby 32894156 » Tue Sep 13, 2016 7:11 am

My name's Jim. Only went with the random numerical name because WiGLE was giving me a LOT of problems logging in, originally. The instructions varied between the Internet page, and the handheld page.
And, my Moto X 1st generation has given me a lot of trouble. It may have something that Bobzilla calls "phantom-keypresses": While I am doing a run, I access the page of recent accesses and see a lot of pages I simply did not access! Further, my sound (beep, boop) goes out for long periods (days, weeks) for reasons entirely unknown. Comes back also for reasons entirely unknown. And many, many times during a run, it shows offers to log into WiFis it sees, despite the fact that I believe I entirely disabled that. "Not ready for prime time", I'd say.
I am covering the Vancouver Washington, and North Portland Oregon and Northeast Portland Oregon area, as well as Battle Ground Washington, Camas and Washougal Washington, Seaside Oregon, Newport Oregon areas. Started early May 2015. Access the 2015-2016 time, in those areas, and nearly all of that difference is me.
Jim

Postby Andr0idian » Tue Sep 13, 2016 1:51 pm

My name's Jim. Only went with the random numerical name because WiGLE was giving me a LOT of problems logging in, originally. The instructions varied between the Internet page, and the handheld page.
And, my Moto X 1st generation has given me a lot of trouble. It may have something that Bobzilla calls "phantom-keypresses": While I am doing a run, I access the page of recent accesses and see a lot of pages I simply did not access! Further, my sound (beep, boop) goes out for long periods (days, weeks) for reasons entirely unknown. Comes back also for reasons entirely unknown. And many, many times during a run, it shows offers to log into WiFis it sees, despite the fact that I believe I entirely disabled that.
To rule out the phantom keypresses, I'd suggest turning on the developer option to show screen presses.

If you don't have developer mode enabled yet,
Go into your device settings / About device
Click on Build number Seven times. (by about the 4th click it'll have a popup that you're a few clicks away from being a developer)

Now that developer mode is enabled,
Go back to Device Settings / Developer Options
Under the Input section, enable Show Touches

it's annoying for regular use, but this is just to debug

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”