Wrong locations

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby tom_eaton » Mon Nov 28, 2016 10:44 pm

Hello all,

I tried using the search function with weird results. My old SSID shows up exactly where I expect it to, with 1 result. My new SSID shows up in at least 3 different places, wildly different from where it should be. For interest the SSID is BTHub5-2596 if anyone wants to see the search results.

Any idea why this is? I'd get it if it was something like 'home-wifi' but it's surely meant to be a reasonably unique SSID?

Postby arkasha » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:39 am

Hi tom_eaton,

Thanks for your interest in WiGLE. I'd check the BSSID of your AP, and make sure that lines up. Pretty much all properties of a wireless access point can be manipulated or copied, although the BSSID is more likely to be unique.

Postby tom_eaton » Tue Nov 29, 2016 6:07 pm

I'm happy BSSID wise, just more curious as to why a BT specific SSID would appear in so many locations.

Postby arkasha » Tue Nov 29, 2016 7:10 pm

It's hard to guess with SSIDs, but I'd guess:
- BT might re-use SSIDs - it's a short sequence of numbers, and they know roughly where they distribute their gear.
- People might be intentionally posing as BT points for any number of reasons, nefarious or above-board
- Since we get our data from strangers on the internet, there may be mis-reported info

While BSSID can be manipulated as well as SSID, it might be interesting to check the manufacturers against the list of BSSIDs associated with those other points, see whether they're standard BT equipment!

Postby tom_eaton » Wed Nov 30, 2016 8:03 pm

The only one I can think of is that BT reuse their SSIDs. Strange behaviour as if the last four can be alphanumberic they have a significant number of potential combinations.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”