Feature Request: Only show seen by me on map

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

45 posts • Page 2 of 3
Thanks for the feedback!

That is the MAC behind the SSID - I figured since you might end up with multiple networks with the same name in the same location (see many business/university setups), It would be useful to have distinguishing information... but I can also understand the visual information clutter that results from this.

Regarding the files that "break" - I'll spend some time with the spec and see whether there's anything visibly wrong here. For my own edification, how big are these files? I can't imagine that that name should be a problem under normal circumstances!

Cheers,

-ark
The files are 1.4MB and 1.3MB, respectively.

I took a closer look and found that the lines that upset Google Earth have an unprintable character after the 5 questions marks.

vi shows: <name>?????^W (2255881954466)</name>

Here's the full clause if it helps:

<Placemark>
<name>?????^W (2255881954466)</name>
<open>1</open>
<description>Encryption: N
Time: 2017-02-08T18:16:06.000-08:00
Signal: -92.0
Accuracy: 3.0
</description>
<Point>
<coordinates>-93.09994507,44.94306946</coordinates>
</Point>
</Placemark>
Brilliant, I'll dig in on this next time I'm at the console. I've deployed a quick fix for the MAC-address-in-summary (and bin->hex translation) in the the meantime
hopefully that'll result in less visual clutter.

Options for handling non-printable chars: Strip, Escape, or Attempt alternate visual fixes (depending on the nature of the characters. Preferences?
>Options for handling non-printable chars: Strip, Escape, or Attempt alternate visual fixes (depending on the nature of the characters. Preferences?

For truly unprintables I'd be inclined to go with substituting an underscore or box character.
Just wanted to say again that this is a very nice feature! =)

I noticed that there is a link behind the transaction IDs of failed uploads. Maybe it would be better to not link these files? Just an idea ;)
Fixes for invalid characters and non-successful runs implemented and deployed. Let me know how things are working!

-ark
Invalid characters is still missing ^W. I also found a ^U in the same file

<name>?????^W</name>
<name>?????^U</name>

I definitely like the MAC tucked inside the details better, must less clutter in Google Earth.

In the place mark details, "Encryption" values include "Y", "2","N", "W", and "?". Does this match another reference on the site? Guess I haven't looked that close before.
Fascinating. I was conservative and stripped all characters listed as invalid by the XML 1.1 spec - but it appears that Google Earth is more limited than that. I'll continue to work on this, although the effort to find everything GE can't handle may be ongoing.
I've deployed a more aggressive filter - take a look and see if this helps?

-ark
Fixes for i[...] non-successful runs implemented and deployed. Let me know how things are working!
Yep! =)
I've deployed a more aggressive filter - take a look and see if this helps?
Looks like you've got it now -- Google Earth opens the KML with the odd SSIDs now. Looks like the bad characters are fully stripped. Here are some fragments with the MAC addresses if you want a closer look at the APs.

<coordinates>-93.10085297,44.94293213</coordinates>
<name>?????</name>
<description>Network ID: 02:0D:3D:CC:DA:54

<coordinates>-92.92610168,44.93450928</coordinates>
<name>?????</name>
<description>Network ID: 02:0D:3D:0A:E4:A2

<coordinates>-93.09994507,44.94306946</coordinates>
<name>?????</name>
<description>Network ID: 02:0D:3D:10:E4:99
I have two more suggestions:

[*]When an upload succeeded but there are no WiFi in the file then there should be no link behind the ID to download (empty file)
[*]In the KML only points with GPS should be exported. Currently some points go down to Africa. I think these are networks without coordinates.

:)
> [*]In the KML only points with GPS should be exported. Currently some points go down to Africa. I think these are networks without coordinates.

Good find! I had noticed some KML files opening in Google Earth with the globe rotation set to the equator, but hadn't figured out why that was happening.
can you confirm the lat/lon/accuracy on those? They might have a zero/zero lat/long, but if so, the accuracy should be a really large number. I'd rather just filter by accuracy, if we can do that, since 0.0/0.0 is a real spot on earth!

Cheers,

-ark
Example: 3A:10:D5:19:BE:9C
This Network is displayed correctly on the map. Only one observation hat lat 0 long 0 (probably the one I exported. I can send you the transaction ID via PN or mail if you want.

Are the exported points the points from the uploaded file or the triangulated coordinates?

Furthermore, while coordinate long 0 lat 0 is a valid point on earth - no one will be there wardriving ever :D
I guess these points could be excluded from export without any fear of excluding valid data. I noticed, that these points don't show up on the wigle map as well.

45 posts • Page 2 of 3

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”