Possible Android client issue

Issues with the Android network detection software. Please include Software version, Android version, and device when reporting

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby kilby » Mon Nov 06, 2017 11:25 am

Hi folks,

I think I have an issue with the Android client.

I have been carrying out fairly regular scans and uploads, however on checking the uploads page I am seeing that the last upload credited to myself was 9th July 2017 (which agrees with the Uploads option in the Android client.)

However I have been uploading scans and the client claims that the scans have been uploaded. The newly discovered items do not appear in the online map (regardless of who is credited for the upload)

I am able to use the Import Observed so it isn't a user ID issue (though I have re-entered my password to check)

I don't believe it is a phone issue or a single android version causing the issue.

At the time of the last successful logged upload I was using a Google Nexus 5X with the standard 7.1.2 release
Since mid August I have been using a Google Pixel with Standard releases 7.1.2 then 8.0.0 (and since last week the Beta 8.1)

Wigle 2.26 is the version I am currently using .

Postby arkasha » Wed Nov 08, 2017 8:02 am

Hi Kilby,

really sorry for the problem. any chance the "upload anonymously" box in your settings is checked?
on your new phone, did you activate using the QR code or with manual username/password entry? does the username case match that of your userid when you log into the site?

Sorry for the inconvenience, and we'll get this fixed!

Postby kilby » Fri Nov 17, 2017 12:44 pm

Sorry about the delay in replying.

There were a few weeks with no uploads from my previous phone, before I swapped devices.

The anonymous upload Checkbox was empty and no QR code was used. The account details were added manually (I did try that at the start and if I get those wrong it whines ;) )

I know that there are SSIDs missing from Wigle so I assume it wasn't the Anonymous checkbox being ticked as the SSIDs would still appear (but without any credit)

However I did do another upload last night and it was credited against my name, so it may be one of those mysterious Android does, what android does moments.

I will try an upload via Wi-Fi tonight to see if something strange is going on in that respect (as I tend to upload when I arrive home)

Postby arkasha » Sat Nov 18, 2017 10:19 pm

Weird - sorry, whatever it might be.

You can always re-upload everything on your phone - if it's in your local database but hasn't shown up in WiGLE, this can force re-addition and re-positioning. I think I'd misunderstood your original post - if the SSIDs don't appear in search, then my ideas regarding anonymous upload are moot. If you're spot-checking a particular SSID or BSSID, you might be encountering a few things:

Unusual character sets/emoji can complicate SSID searches (our search interface still has some wonky behavior with emoji)
If you're geo-bounding your search someone might have positioned the same network elsewhere (try removing geographic constraints)
For located data, if the GPS fix reports strong but the clock is off, we disqualify the location data (but the point should still appear in our networks list)
A specific BSSID might have been removed at the operator's request (this has always been our policy, but this is extremely rare)

Glad it wasn't attributed anonymously!

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE WiFi Wardriving Bugs”

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests