Creating maps?

General wireless news

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby cordova85 » Thu Jan 11, 2018 3:11 am

How can I create maps? No maps for Norway around... do the maps use any standard format? The .mappack files are ok to "decode" but how are those .png files made? Can I find .png files like these for any country? What's up with the three different .png files for i.e. Chichago, what's the need for 3, and what's the difference between them?

Where is this Rigle where I can submit request for maps to be made?

Postby arkasha » Thu Jan 11, 2018 6:52 am

Hi cordova85 - thanks for your interest!

JiGLE is deprecated, and we haven't updated it in quite a while, since the Android client, KML export (click the transaction ID for any upload on your uploads page to download a google-earth compatible file), and web maps interface have all largely obviated the need for a desktop client. The original mappacks were generated using our own custom mapping engine, which has also been decommissioned with the exception of the density plot tiles on the web maps.

If you want to generate mappacks, you can choose between vector and raster formats. The raster representation is easy - they have three different resolutions to assist with maintaining map quality through zooming. The vector representations are balanced binary trees per the format you can see in the source code. Honestly, it's much easier to use web-based rendering for the data now, and we don't recommend trying to use JiGLE anymore.

Postby Jamshed8 » Tue Oct 23, 2018 11:31 am

I also would like to know about this how to create maps. Thanks OP for the explanation. :)

3 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Wireless News”