Android Pie and WiGLE - news articles about scan-throttling

Notes regarding project status and info

10 posts • Page 1 of 1
The world is finding out - but can we convince google to build us a permission?

XDA Developers
Way down in the issue tracking thread https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/79906367 is this note -
"Note: Apps holding android.Manifest.permission.NETWORK_SETTINGS permission are exempted from scan throttling."

Is it possible for the android app to obtain this permission?
Unfortunately not. android.Manifest.permission.NETWORK_SETTINGS is a system permission, regular apps can't use it without rooting and moving the app to the 'privileged' location or having it baked into a custom ROM.
Another google tracking issue to star and raise awareness:

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/112688545
my main device just got the 9 update, and it basically is now useless :shock:
It scans Bluetooth like crazy, but Wifi while driving is actually not working like this.

But as the list from the last scan stays, does it means i will report the position from this wifi´s while im moving? so reporting potentially totaly wrong positions? :shock:

Or does the Wigle App respects the "age" from the scan?
the position and signal strength get registered at the time the scan completes. It won't be "wrong" just far less complete than frequent scanning would provide.
I just allowed my pair of Moto X4s to upgrade to the current revision of software: They did what seemed to be about 10 sequential upgrades. So, I assume they are essentially useless for wardriving.
But now I have a need for a wardriving smartphone. I want one that won't ever upgrade to android pi. But, I also want it to have easy-to-replace batteries, and very fast wifi scanning. I was very dissatisfied with those Moto X4's, which could take a LONG time to do wifi scans. Does anybody know of a good replacement?
Jim
I thought I posted this elsewhere, but I cannot find it:
https://www.xda-developers.com/android- ... ling-apps/

"[Update: Toggle coming in Q Beta 5] Android Pie’s throttling of Wi-Fi scans is crippling some network tools
Update 2 (5/29/19 @ 9:04 AM ET): A Google employee says a new developer option for toggling WiFi scanning throttling will be available starting with Android Q Beta 5.

Update 1 (5/28/19 @ 01:18 AM ET): Google has confirmed that the changes to foreground Wi-Fi scanning will stay in Android Q.

"Android Pie is still fresh on everyone’s mind and we’re only starting to experience some of the changes that Google has made with its latest update. Android has always been criticized for having poor battery life compared to other mobile operating systems, but this was a double-edged sword. Sure, Android used more battery life than others, but it allowed for a lot more unique and diverse applications to be exclusive to the platform. Google has done a lot to help improve the overall battery life usage on Android, but this latest change to WiFi scanning is interfering with a number of network applications.

"So, with the introduction of Android Pie, Google has put a limitation on the frequency that an application can use the platform’s WiFi Scanning feature. Google has responded to the report in their issue tracker and confirmed this latest update to Android limits this functionality for both foreground applications as well as all background applications. For foreground applications, the feature is limited to 4 scans every 2 minutes while applications in the background are restricted to only 1 scan every 30 minutes.

"On the surface of it all, this seems like a decent way to alleviate some unneeded battery usage, but there are some circumstances where this has had a negative effect. For instance, popular network applications such as WiFi Analyzer and WiGLE (a Wardriving app) need more frequent access to the WiFi scanning than your standard application. This change has essentially made these types of applications useless as it reduces their scan rate by at least 30x even though they are active applications meant to be used in the foreground.

"As you can see, these outlier circumstances have had a negative effect on some popular networking applications. Google has been active in this issue tracker thread and even went as far as to explain how the throttling is determined. As of right now, there hasn’t been a solution provided by Google themselves, but they have gone ahead and deferred this issue “for consideration” in a future Android release.

"Update 1: Still in Android Q
According to a comment on the Google Issue Tracker (via AndroidPolice), Wi-Fi throttling is here to stay. However, Android Q allows users to turn off throttling on a local device with the following ADB command:

"adb shell settings put global wifi_scan_throttle_enabled 0
Despite what the comment says, sending this command does not require root access.

"Update 2: Toggle coming in Q Beta 5
A Google employee posted a comment in the Google Issue Tracker thread saying a toggle is coming soon. Starting with Android Q Beta 5, which is scheduled for Q3 2019, there will be a toggle to turn scan throttling off in the developer options. You won’t need to use the ADB command mentioned in the previous article update.

" Discuss This Story
TagsAndroid 9 PieAndroid PieAndroid QGooglewifi
Want more posts like this delivered to your inbox? Enter your email to be subscribed to our newsletter.

Email Address
This is from my quote above:

"Android Pie is still fresh on everyone’s mind and we’re only starting to experience some of the changes that Google has made with its latest update. Android has always been criticized for having poor battery life compared to other mobile operating systems, but this was a double-edged sword. Sure, Android used more battery life than others, but it allowed for a lot more unique and diverse applications to be exclusive to the platform. Google has done a lot to help improve the overall battery life usage on Android, but this latest change to WiFi scanning is interfering with a number of network applications."

This claim, the one by Google, is foolish. When I am wardriving, I am almost always connecting my phone(s) to a Turbocharger plugin in the cigarette lighter, so power consumption is essentially irrelevant.
I have a preference for Motorola phones: Cheap. Here's a page describing which Moto phones will be getting Android Pie. What with the scan-throttling behavior of Pie, I figure I'm going to have to collect a group of Android wardriving-capable phones which are guaranteed NOT to "upgrade" to Pie. I just bought a used Moto G5 Plus, and will run it today. I want to get at least one more phone, since I have learned that when running two phones simultaneously, I tend to get an additional 50% more Wifis.
I also intend to post the WiFi scan rate of each phone I try.
Jim Bell

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Moto-E5-Mo ... -p/4174913
-------------------------------------------------------------

"Motorola lists all devices receiving Android Pie 9

"‎08-15-2018 12:16 PM
Article at AndroidPolice about Android Pie 9.0 and Motorola commitment to updates (pay attention to the last paragraph). After reading, go to the site and check the comment section to see the reaction of users

"EDIT: Now we discovered Motorola's schedule: updates after 1 year just to top devices. Medium or low end devices have support only for 12 months, or no support at all (support I mean receiving a new version of Android, not only just security patches). In regarding to the E5, a phone released only a few months, you all will be delighted to discover you won't receive a single update at all...

" While Android Pie rolls out to phones from Google and Essential, most OEMs haven't announced which devices will receive the update. HTC revealed a few days ago which of its phones are being updated, and now it's Motorola's turn.

"Motorola's long-term software support has deteriorated quite a bit over the past few years, so it shouldn't come as a surprise that the list of Moto phones receiving Android Pie is short. In fact, only eight phones will get the update:

moto z3
moto z3 play
moto z2 force edition
moto z2 play
moto x4
moto g6 plus
moto g6
moto g6 play

"The list notably doesn't include any Moto E phones, even the E5 line that launched a few months ago. The entire Moto G5 family is also missing, even the G5S and G5S Plus - which launched one year ago.

Source:
Motorola

10 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE News”