Australian wardrivers

Wardrivers: find others in your area

31 posts • Page 1 of 3

Postby robinhood » Thu Sep 09, 2004 7:12 am

Hi there!

Just noticed on the Wigle maps that there's someone else stumbling in Australia. I thought I was the only one! If you see this message, get in touch! Check my profile for IM details, or PM me on here.

Cheers,
Robin

Postby ccie4526 » Fri Sep 17, 2004 6:24 pm

I'm the one who did most of the kismetting around Perth last October. Planning to do it again sometime next October as well.

....Ron

Postby robinhood » Sat Sep 18, 2004 2:09 am

Ah.... well in that case there's more than one other person wardriving in Australia - because the ones I noticed were in western Sydney (where I haven't been). What takes you to Perth every October?

Postby ccie4526 » Tue Sep 21, 2004 8:36 pm

Holiday, of course.... I have to go somewhere the mobile phone won't find me, and preferably with 12 hours time difference from where I am currently... meaning I'm asleep when all the people here are awake.

Last trip, since I saw that noone had sniffed around Perth, I brought my wardriving kit along (DC/AC Inverter, GPS, RF Preamplifier, Lucent Gold card) with my laptop. Gotta resort to desperate measures to stay in the top 20 worldwide. :D

Postby ccie4526 » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:32 am

Time to bump this one to the top. Almost two years from the last post, and guess what, I'm in Perth right now, snarfing away with Kismet. Going to hit QLD, NSW, and VIC before I go back to the states too. ;)

Postby Dutch » Mon Sep 18, 2006 9:42 am

Time to bump this one to the top. Almost two years from the last post, and guess what, I'm in Perth right now, snarfing away with Kismet. Going to hit QLD, NSW, and VIC before I go back to the states too. ;)
I think Wigle should have an edutaintment game made : "Where in the world is Carmen CCIE4526 ?" ;)
AFAIR you're only missing Greenland in order to have logged networks on all continents and major land areas, right ? Soendre Stroemfjord holiday packages are available, including day trip by chopper to Nuuk.
Please post pictures, when you get back :lol:

Dutch
[url=http://www.wigle.net/gps/gps/StatGroup/listusers?groupid=20041206-00006][img]http://home19.inet.tele.dk/dutch/netstumblerwigle.gif[/img][/url]

Postby ccie4526 » Tue Sep 19, 2006 11:55 pm

I think Wigle should have an edutaintment game made : "Where in the world is Carmen CCIE4526 ?" ;)
Heheh, I'm already doing that right now on World of Warcraft. Where in the world is Ronster? :)
AFAIR you're only missing Greenland in order to have logged networks on all continents and major land areas, right ? Soendre Stroemfjord holiday packages are available, including day trip by chopper to Nuuk.
Greenland, Iceland, and Africa. One of these days....
Please post pictures, when you get back :lol:
Doing that in real time. http://photogallery.rjr-services.com

;)

..Ron

Postby themacuser » Wed Sep 20, 2006 10:15 pm

I'm doing Adelaide. And I've actually done a fair chunk of what's already there, according to my number of new nets, and the "First discovered by me"
checkbox

There's not that many APs here unfortunately, it seems. :(

Postby Dutch » Thu Sep 21, 2006 6:44 am

I'm doing Adelaide. And I've actually done a fair chunk of what's already there, according to my number of new nets, and the "First discovered by me"
checkbox

There's not that many APs here unfortunately, it seems. :(
You'll be amazed how much choice of equipment and software will matter, wrt to discovering large amounts of nets.

Casual stumblers normally uses :
windows laptop, with whatever card they have, no external antenna, and NetStumbler using NDIS mode.

Dedicated stumblers normally uses :
Windows laptop with NetStumbler supported card and external antenna.

Fashionconcious stumblers uses :
Macs with KisMac and whatever card works with it this week.

Hardcore stumblers uses :
Linux with Kismet and external antenna.

Roughneck stumblers uses :
Linux with kismet and multiple cards, with and without external antennas.

Sufferers of OCWDD (Obsessive Compulsive WarDriving Disorder, it's a real illness you know.... :lol:) uses :
Linux with Kismet and multiple cards with preamplifiers, different types of external antennas to get as much horizontal and vertical coverage, an assortment of selfcontained and connected kismet-drones running on WRT54G's and/or windows with kismet/Cygwin + WRT54G kismet drones, and multiple cards controlled by multiple instances of NetStumbler running concurrently.

Ofcourse the above classification isn't static, there are people who change classification depending on what they are doing or fall out of the classification.
If you Look at Hratch's count, you'd guess he was in the last classification. Would it surprise you, if I told you that at least half of his discoveries has been made while he was asleep ?
I thought about adding the following classification just for him -
Sleeping Beauty Stumbler :
Hratch...

:D

Dutch
[url=http://www.wigle.net/gps/gps/StatGroup/listusers?groupid=20041206-00006][img]http://home19.inet.tele.dk/dutch/netstumblerwigle.gif[/img][/url]

Postby themacuser » Thu Sep 21, 2006 12:56 pm

Fashionconcious stumblers uses :
Macs with KisMac and whatever card works with it this week.
:P

KisMac, on a PowerBook G3 Pismo.

Senao NCD-2511-EXT2 + 6dbi antenna.

I've also got a random Motorola broadcom-based card that works with kismac in passive mode too, and an orinoco gold.

Yeah, simonl and I are trying to collect one of every supported card just for fun :P

Here's how we're doing:

AirPort Extreme card - active mode - his macbook, my pb g4, and the Pismo with the broadcom card.

Apple AirPort Extreme card, passive mode - same as above.

AirPort card, passive mode - orinoco in AirPort slot.

Atheros based card, passive mode - we need to get another one - the past one met with a slight accident when it bent a few pcmcia pins, and necessitated the complete disassembly of the laptop for the repair.

Cisco Aironet card, passive mode - don't have one.

Prism2/Orinoco/Hermes - two cards, senao, and orinoco gold.

PrismGT card - wish i had one of those with an external antenna.

USB Prism2 device - he can't find his, and mine is screwed up after a failed firmware hack (attempted to change regulatory domain).

And, the one that's in development - USB ralink device, we should grab one.

So, that's 5 cards we need to find :)

I think I am somewhere between fashion-conscious (we use kismac), hardcore stumbler (card, and external antenna, but os x, not linux), and OCWDD (trying to find a way to mount the 12dbi antenna on the roof of the car, but getting annoyed that it's not entirely possible, and settling for the 6dbi instead).

I used to be somewhere near casual - I used to use my G4 12" for stumbling, but it was with KisMac and the internal AP extreme, I found half of my nets that way (through sheer persistance...).

The Senao card, and 6dbi antenna are awesome though. I re-drove a route I had done at least 10 times with the 12" G4, and found 100 new networks.

Although it is kind-of obvious that a very good card, and external antenna on the roof will find more than internal laptop wireless.

Most of the people I know that use KisMac do almost fit into the causal category - just use it to find what's out there, and probably can't be bothered with wigle. Actually, most of them have no GPS, so I occasionally lend it to them (on the condition that they give me the log files to upload to wigle :) )

Postby themacuser » Fri Sep 22, 2006 1:21 pm

Ok, I've got a new category for you. Somebody come up with a name for it.

You work on the stumbler you are using, as you use it to stumble (yeah, I was coding parts of my GPS info window while stumbling. Hopefully, you are not driving while doing this.

And another one:
You actually bought another laptop just for stumbling (yep, count me in.).

And maybe another one:
You achieve the holy grail of getting a Broadcom card to behave properly in monitor mode... then realise it's useless for stumbling and stop using it :P

Postby ax0n » Fri Sep 22, 2006 3:35 pm

And another one:
You actually bought another laptop just for stumbling (yep, count me in.).
Guilty as charged on several occasions. For instance, the only reason I bought the Jornada 720 to replace my Jornada 680 was because HPC/2000 works with MiniStumbler. Also, I originally got my Compaq Armada for BSD-Airtools and Kismet, and my G3 Powerbook, while originally not purchased for stumbling, only sees KisMAC duty nowadays.

Postby pejacoby » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:23 am

Also, I originally got my Compaq Armada for BSD-Airtools and Kismet, and my G3 Powerbook, while originally not purchased for stumbling, only sees KisMAC duty nowadays.
w00t, count me in.

When my serial/power cable for my iPaq 5450 and Garmin eTrex flaked out, I bought a Holux GPSlim 236 Bluetooth unit instead of a new cable.

When my iPaq 5450 died I got an hx2715 so I could keep using WiFiFoFum.

After letting my iBook G3/600 sit broken for 6 months, I got it repaired and now it's primary purpose in life is running KisMac to fill in all the APs I missed with WiFiFoFum.

My wife took the new iBook G4, otherwise I'd be stumbling with it's Airport Extreme card and KisMac instead :)

Postby ccie4526 » Sat Sep 23, 2006 1:54 am

Hehehe, I have a brand new Dell D620, and have yet to come up with a working linux that allows the PCMCIA card to be read. So I bring along on my trip to Australia, in addition to the D620, my old faithful Inspiron 4000, which has a fully working FC1 release with Orinoco drivers. Just to pile on 25K new APs in the Perth area.

And I'm on my way to Brisbane now. ;)

Postby whitedice » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:02 am

ccie4526, you'll probably pass me for most this month, at least for the next 2 days. It is my intention to be in the top 10 (overall) before October.

Does any laptop brand make dual PCMCIA slots anymore?

I resurrected my old Dell Inspiron 8100 dual PCMCIA slots. Had to get a new hdd, and then shortly after finally learning how to install linux and kismet, a new video card to keep it going.

Is it bad that I have another PC with 2 PCI PCMCIA slots running kismet_drone and networked to that Inspiron 8100 running off a custom installed 800W inverter in my SUV? Preampsss (check). Horizonatal/Vertical coverage (check). Custom PVC pipe patch antenna stand (check).

I'm borderline clinicial OCWDD...

31 posts • Page 1 of 3

Return to “Stumbler Meet and Greet”