Wigle Wifi for Android: Suggestions

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

196 posts • Page 1 of 14
Would be nice to see support for watchdog your battery. Wlan scan+gps has horrible power consumption, but this watchdog can shutdown wigle (wlan+gps) at specified battery level to prevent get lost in the city jungle without your phone to call 911 or your mommy.

Any other suggestions are welcome in this thread.
Added to TODO
-bobzilla - WiGLE.net just a little bit
Kismet drone support
Some response/info/stat about uploaded files
First, re the first post. Android app "Tasker" can start and stop apps based on battery level -- and other things as well, such a battery temp, location, etc. I use it shut down the app when I get near home. I don't need the world seeing one big red dot over my house or place of employment. lol

With regard to suggestions for the app. Might I be so bold as to ask that the voice feature include a "never" option. I like to use the app and have it ping whenever I find a new network; however, once I activate the sounds, the voice feature narrates my findings. The longest period of time is ten minutes between shout outs. It would be nice if "never" followed the ten minute selection so I can mute the narration but keep the pinging sounds.

Also, maybe an option to play your own sound file upon detection of a network.
There's a setting of "Off" for the speech, it's at the top of the list, you may have to scroll to see it.
"There's a setting of "Off" for the speech, it's at the top of the list, you may have to scroll to see it."

Ahh, found it. I scrolled down and didn't see anything. I didn't think to scroll up. D'oh! Thanx.
Just my ideas.

I think a KML export would be great, just so you can also have a nice log of your own adventures as well would really use that, maybe also a way to export the DB CSV simply as well from the GUI.

The other option I feel Wigle needs is away to reload the DB, if there is a crash etc I've had it reset on me, and start counting from zero, and on a night out its quite nice to keep a running total. So maybe an import option as well.

Just some ideas, I have it nicely setup with Tasker to boot the GPS,WiFi and set the timeout screen to 6 hours but put the brightness to nothing. However if you are looking for extra features a 'keep awake' screen on brightness low/high control would be nice.

The last thing I think would be useful is an audible notification when GPS is lost and it goes to phone network positioning and then again when even that is lost, at the moment I sometimes just hear it announce GPS is found, but not lost - maybe its my hearing.

Anyway just some ideas, let me know if you want some more help.
It will announce when GPS is lost, or it switches to wifi positioning from GPS positioning. When you hear that you have location from GPS when it already had it...I've heard that too. It's likely a bug/race that we haven't tracked down yet.

The WigleWifi database is just an sqlite db sitting in /sdcard/wiglewifi/wiglewifi.sqlite, you can make backups of that when WigleWifi isn't running, and use any sqlite tools to import/export from it. If you want a full csv you could reset the db marker in the settings page, and then click the upload button. WigleWifi will write out the entire db to a file in /sdcard/wiglewifi/ (and then upload it). Also, all the gzip'd csv's that were written prior to upload will be in that directory as well.

You can use an app like Astro to explore the filesystem, or more conveniently set up a dev environment and then use ADB to push/pull/shell to the phone from a full computer.

Postby Vernox » Wed Sep 22, 2010 11:14 am

I don't know if this is the proper place to put this, but running this on a Droid 2 is quite a hassle. This is Android 2.2, with the automatic notification turned off like the app told me and within 30 minutes of using, it autosubmitted (nothing was even near the keypad) about 10 times and crashed at least 15 more. I absolutely love this app, but it seems to crash constantly. Also, if I am connected to WiFi, it will not send a report. This is a minor thing, I just wanted to mention it. Please keep up the good work guys, I just wanted to inform ya'll!
Do you have 1.20 ? 1.17 was very buggy.
wiglewifi rocks, I'm getting 2x the points with wiglewifi/droid2 that i did with WifiWhere/iphone and you get a lot more useful information out of it in the process.

A few high priority suggestions:
  • * Ability to order list view by time discovered in run (so you can see what the new networks are)
    * Make tab buttons larger and put on bottom at least in landscape mode (to ease use in car, they are small and right next to drag down notification bar)
    * Ability to filter list view by new networks only
    * In dashboard mode, make the network counts much larger for reading at a glance. Side by side large numbers in boxes would be great as the text justification doesn't line up right now and makes you read into the middle of the block when driving.
    * Ability to turn scan off so you can be on local wifi while reviewing map/stats/etc.
And some lower prioirty nice to have features:
  • * Smaller upload button or confirmation dialog to prevent inadvertent uploads (I get a lot of these just handling the phone or even from sitting in my pocket)
    * At walking speed, default map zoom level to be in tighter, it's hard to see city streets when pocketstumbling on foot and resets zoom level frequently by itself
    * Indicate new networks since last upload since run counts gets reset on crash
    * Ability to manually define run start/stop points and batch uploads to wigle by defined run
(Maybe) Pie in the sky:
  • * Live updating map showing existing points in wigle as well as your new points
Thanks for all the hard work.
Ability to order list view by time discovered in run (so you can see what the new networks are)
Already on TODO
Make tab buttons larger and put on bottom at least in landscape mode (to ease use in car, they are small and right next to drag down notification bar)
I specifically make them smaller to save real estate :) Buttons at bottom on landscape mode would be nice, I think I remember reading it's very hard to do in a backwards compatible way though. I'll put on list.
Ability to filter list view by new networks only
Added to TODO.
In dashboard mode, make the network counts much larger for reading at a glance. Side by side large numbers in boxes would be great as the text justification doesn't line up right now and makes you read into the middle of the block when driving.
Network counts are already larger, that's part of the reason the dashboard exists. I'll left-justify and make them larger in next release.
Ability to turn scan off so you can be on local wifi while reviewing map/stats/etc.
Already on TODO.
Smaller upload button or confirmation dialog to prevent inadvertent uploads (I get a lot of these just handling the phone or even from sitting in my pocket)
Can turn the screen off in your pocket. A confirm dialog might be nice though, added to TODO.
At walking speed, default map zoom level to be in tighter, it's hard to see city streets when pocketstumbling on foot and resets zoom level frequently by itself
Zoom will be remembered in next release.
Indicate new networks since last upload since run counts gets reset on crash
Added to TODO.
Ability to manually define run start/stop points and batch uploads to wigle by defined run
I doubt we'll get into changelists. Upload everything! :)
Live updating map showing existing points in wigle as well as your new points
On the TODO, and something I'd really like, is to have it draw everything in your db on the map, pry with overlay tiles it keeps updated. That's a significant undertaking though.
Love the ongoing development of WigleWifi. I've some suggestions that might be worth considering....

- now that the screens are arranged side-by-side with the tab buttons, having side-to-side swipe to move between the screens might help resolve the accidental hitting of the notification area or hitting the wrong tab button

- it would be nice to see the menu button entries for the List and Dashboard screens to be the same. I almost always use Dashboard whilst driving and having the ability to Exit from the Dashboard without having to go back the the List screen first would be nice.

- upload without having to go to the List screen would be a nice addition. Would adding it as an option from the menu button be worth considering?

- remembering which screen you were using when you Exit would save having to reselect Dashboard or Map when it next starts up.

- the Settings tab button is vulnerable to being accidentally hit (sort of linked to my first point). This might be better kept out of the way just under the menu button?

Oh, and if you can arrange for the car to be driven automatically to unmapped areas whilst I'm asleep at night that would be great :)

thanks
I've tried all of the updates as they rolled out and I keep going back to the original version. Sometimes less is more IMHO.

That said, I think there should be an option to hide the menu bar altogether.

Also, I'm not sure the OS will allow it but having the option to automatically activate wifi and gps upon loading the app would be nice.

Postby uhtu » Tue Oct 05, 2010 10:30 pm

having the option to automatically activate wifi and gps upon loading the app would be nice.
we already do turn on the wifi, and you can't turn on the GPS if the user has it turned off, which is probably for the best.
other apps not being as friendly as ours.

196 posts • Page 1 of 14

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”