Export of WiGLE

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby Carnager » Sun Jul 28, 2002 4:05 pm

It would be nice if the wigle database queries would also allow you to export to a mappoint data file, so you can view the results nice all together on one map. I think it's nice if you can just go to a place on the map nearest to you or en-route, and lat&lon is not so handy to look up, plus you only get one result on a map if you want to view a location on a map...
Anyway, just for those times you don't want to lug your yagi with you, it'd be very useful...

Postby Carnager » Sun Jul 28, 2002 6:17 pm

What also would be a very nice idea is the possibility to export to the various formats wigle accepts for uploading too. Then, you can convert all around and for the programming of this imho it's just reversing the process...

Postby bobzilla » Mon Jul 29, 2002 9:39 am

The JiGLE client can save the points that it downloads from WiGLE.net to a file for later use with the '-cache <cachefile>' option. Then to load the cache pass the shortname of the mappack you want in with -mappack <mappack>, and pass the cache (or wi-scan file) in with -getcache <cachefile> (or -getstumble <stumblefile>). The shortname for the mappack is in the TGRxxxxx.mappack file in JiGLEMaps/maps/. Hopefully this is something like what you're looking for?
-bobzilla - WiGLE.net just a little bit

Postby Carnager » Tue Jul 30, 2002 12:41 am

This seems like a good idea, but, are there mappacks for outside the US?.. I know, WiGLE it originated to be a US database, but clearly there's many AP's outside of the US in it. To put these on maps would be very useful, especially for those (including me) that live in other countries or even continents ;]

Postby bobzilla » Tue Jul 30, 2002 5:02 am

Heck yeah we want to do outside of the US maps, but we haven't found a good source of data as of yet. There are a few places with general country borders, but it would be nice if we could find street-level detail like what the census gives out. If anyone finds a source of geo data let us know!

Postby Carnager » Tue Jul 30, 2002 10:56 pm

I don't suppose you can "loan" maps from mappoint europe or autoroute europe, right?..

Postby bobzilla » Wed Jul 31, 2002 8:59 am

We want copyright free maps, which basically means making our own maps from copyright free sources of geo data. You could make mappacks out of other peoples maps if you know the gps coords of the upper left and lower right corners if you want (take a look at the .mappack files, it's trivial :)

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”