Goal: Wireless IPs

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

11 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby jhballard » Fri Nov 05, 2004 1:59 am

I have a goal to be a wireless IP provider, and I already started to buy equipment to acheieve this goal. When I researched how to obtain IP numbers to use, I found out I had to buy a bank of 1024 of them and prove that they are being used. I thought how could I accomplish such goals. One idea was to use the data from wigle.net to find those who already have wireless equipment that would like to connect directly instead of buy dial-up.

This thread is just to gather ideas on how to promote wireless to wireless connections in the communities and to figure out what is needed to support it.

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:38 pm

I have started to make a wireless map of the area. If I showed the community how dense the wireless networks are, they may see the light and want to connect to each other.

Postby jhballard » Sat Nov 06, 2004 6:41 pm

I wonder what effect would happen if I printed out a map and mailed to the neighbors.

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 06, 2004 7:18 pm

Could this be used to geographically group wireless APs with the advantage to allow roaming within neighborhoods?

Postby jhballard » Sat Nov 06, 2004 8:12 pm

It could be done with a set of IPs set aside as mobile IPs. Each AP would have to support a feature to host mobile IP and allow them to roam.

With geographic IP data, we could allow any AP to query its MAC number [on wigle.net, perhaps] and determine an appropriate subnet which would easily allow neighbors to roam. An appropriate subnet would mean a subnet that the neighbors share. The query database would render neighbors within a geoprahic area the same subnet. That would work until smarter APs come about.

Postby Guest » Sat Nov 06, 2004 10:21 pm

That seems like the server would have to be massive to support all the queries against the MAC addresses.

What about a NAT that would distribute its allocation database to other NATs? There is some software that already does that: google distributed NAT.

Such queries could be routed to the nearest NAT server instead of a server like wigle.net or nodedb.com.

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 07, 2004 1:21 am

That would work if we use a VESPR model to deliminate 8 bit subnets and prevent clashes.

Postby jhballard » Sun Nov 07, 2004 3:37 am

Whoa, neo... prior art... wagle the dog

I helped out a project that could distribute the databases. I see some open source projects that lets internet connection be shared. I have put together some software that works as a virtual machine. If needed, we could run linux on windows to keep a common base. Just got to put it all together!

:)

Postby uhtu » Sun Nov 07, 2004 4:15 pm

as entertaining as this monologue is (mmmm, view ip of poster button)...
wigle is NOT a list of points you can use for internet access.

Postby jhballard » Sun Nov 07, 2004 7:05 pm

MMmmm... that IP button gives the address of a NAT system. :)

Points for Internet Access... no. More like, wigle could be used to help on the allocation.

uhtu, ever thought about a system that could act as a distributed wigle? If wigle gets used often enough (lets say in the future), the process time may increase.

Postby Guest » Sun Nov 07, 2004 9:58 pm

view [GPS] button of poster 8)

11 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”