Different look, december 2017

Report issues with the site here. Please include browser and page information in your reports.

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby Fornax » Sat Dec 02, 2017 8:52 pm

Hi,

Today I noticed the mapview is different with microscopic and only purple dots (only in extreme zoom they grow to small squares)
Is this a temporary solution to some problem/challenge? The maps load/zoom noticably slower too.

Postby 25111996 » Sat Dec 02, 2017 11:56 pm

I don't like this new look, I hope that this is temporary. Network dots should be bigger. And there are no cell towers at all on the map.

Postby bobzilla » Mon Dec 04, 2017 5:43 pm

Yup, we've moved to an entirely new infrastructure which we can iterate on quickly, and has very flexible searching and filtering (which we'll be able to expose soon). The old system literally took many hours to make a change, and was about to head into a technical scaling brick wall which would make it inoperable. Cell towers will come back in a bit, we have to move those over still, no ETA.

At what specific zoom level would you like dots to be larger? Example queries that you feel are slower?
-bobzilla - WiGLE.net just a little bit

Postby bobzilla » Mon Dec 04, 2017 11:34 pm

We've tuned the drawing sizes to start increasing at less (more zoomed out) levels, hopefully that's better for you. Try new areas to make sure you're not seeing cached tiles. Being able to make and roll out that change in a few minutes is certainly better for us :D

Zoom 15: 2 pixels
Zoom 17: 3 pixels
Zoom 20: QoS coloring, show SSID
Zoom 22: Show BSSID

Postby bobzilla » Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:15 am

Just added a boost to network pixel size if the tile has very low density as well, works better for rural areas vs a city.

Postby 25111996 » Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:15 pm

We've tuned the drawing sizes to start increasing at less (more zoomed out) levels, hopefully that's better for you.
Just added a boost to network pixel size
Looks good, thanks for that! And could you change showing SSIDs from 20th zoom to 19th? Just for quick glance.

Postby Fornax » Sat Dec 09, 2017 5:44 pm

Hi Bobzilla,

We've tuned the drawing sizes to start increasing at less (more zoomed out) levels, hopefully that's better for you. Try new areas to make sure you're not seeing cached tiles. Being able to make and roll out that change in a few minutes is certainly better for us :D

Zoom 15: 2 pixels
Zoom 17: 3 pixels
Zoom 20: QoS coloring, show SSID
Zoom 22: Show BSSID

The maps are much more enjoyable now with the new pixelsizes.

I must say that most of the fun of participating in Wigle is browsing the map of the areas that I mapped and see the QoS turn from red to green.
I'd say that QoS-colouring (near view) should kick in at zoomlevel 15, preferably even 14 but certainly not at 17 or higher.
Ideal zoomlevel may differ with how dense the area is of course. As an extra argument to my number of mapzoom15 have a look at my 'huntingrounds' within ~15 miles of https://wigle.net/map?maplat=51.8659443 ... nolabels=1

In my OP I mentioned tilegeneration was slower but that is over now, actually feels faster than a month ago.

With kind regards,
Fornax

Postby bobzilla » Sun Dec 10, 2017 4:07 am

SSID's at level 19 is unusable in cities. Maybe turning on text could be density-per-tile adjusted like we did for drawing size.
Changing how the networks are colored as a user-adjustable drop-down is on the roadmap. We'd like to be able to use the color dimension to show various aspects of network distributions.

8 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Site Bugs”