Wi Fi Newb, I need Help!

The gear needed for wardriving

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby User01 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 5:22 am

Im a Wi Fi newb. have a couple wireless networks around me, that i am able to connect to.

If i get a seccond card, can I connect to two wireless networks at the same time, and will that increaese the internet speed? 3, 4, at at time?

I have a DSL and i can download at 380 KB sec, if i connect to some one elses network will it increase my download speed.

How can i increase the distance on my wireless network card, so i can maby find more networks, what type of antena do i need and where can i get that.

What tools can i use to find networks?

Postby bobfunland » Mon Jan 16, 2006 7:40 am

Do you own or operate those networks? Do you have permission from the owner to connect to them? If the answer is no, then everytime you connect to those networks, you are commiting a crime(theft of services, computer trespass, etc.). If the answer is yes, then no you can't, at least not with anything that I'm aware of. There are numerous tools available, it all depends what and how you want to use the information provided by them. If you answered no to the first two questions then you'll have to find the answer to the third one somewhere else, because I will not be an accessory to a criminal.

Postby mark571 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 2:12 pm

Connecting to networks you don't own or have permission to is against the law in the USA and almost all countries. (good job Bob)

Postby User01 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:17 pm

So how come my wireless network is on WiGLE? Is that ligal? Who connected to mine?

Will you guys plz answer the questions, I would not care if some one connected to my network to check an email.

Postby mark571 » Mon Jan 16, 2006 8:58 pm

So how come my wireless network is on WiGLE? Is that ligal? Who connected to mine?

Will you guys plz answer the questions, I would not care if some one connected to my network to check an email.
You need to do some basic research and reading on your own. All of this information can be found with Google searches.

It is not necessary to "connect" to a wireless network to SEE a wireless network if it's transmitting information for all to hear. Passive scanners like Kismet are just sitting there listening for the data that your network is sending out. Just because you're listed here does not mean someone "connected" to you. There are easy ways to tell if they did and "that" is the first question you should be concerned about. Find that answer and the rest will start to fall into place.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”