Google Pie and Wifi Wardriving

The frontpage news bits

46 posts • Page 2 of 4

Postby arkasha » Mon Mar 04, 2019 4:49 pm

Interesting; we'll look into the equivalent of this in software.

Cheers,

-ark

Postby rkrmpg » Thu Mar 14, 2019 10:57 pm

so is this issue with Pie causing overall slowness of the app and all menu selections including upload and the exit button or is it just the scan rate the issue?

Postby arkasha » Fri Mar 15, 2019 4:04 pm

the scan throttling should not affect overall performance - we haven't seen or heard much about an interactivity problem in that respect (nor does the play store "app not responding" dashboard show an increase).

Historically, slowness in interactivity has been commonly associated with:
1. database access problems - corrupt SD cards and very large databases can slow the app down, particularly on older devices
2. other apps / system load.

Feel free to start/continue a slowness thread here in the forums, or to send us detailed information in PM or email if you prefer.

Postby slobodan » Sun May 19, 2019 5:11 pm

Is it my mind playing tricks or has it been fixed in Nokia 6.1 build 00WW_3_53A?

Postby arkasha » Sun May 19, 2019 6:19 pm

huge if true - can you adjust the scan speed?

Postby slobodan » Sun May 19, 2019 8:43 pm

It's kind of mixed results: networks on display change often, but it does not save them.

Postby slobodan » Sun May 19, 2019 9:36 pm

Yup, it's a getting a GPS fix problem, not a WiFi scanning problem.

Postby slobodan » Sun May 19, 2019 10:14 pm

Switched to Wigle FOSS. Does somewhat better, see WiGLE_Upload-20190519-01181 (WigleWifi_20190520000937.csv). But it is still far from good.

Postby slobodan » Mon May 20, 2019 2:40 pm

So, yes, the problem isn't that it does not scan WiFi. The problem is that it shows about 10 of them at the same location. My scanning interval was 750 ms, but only 30 s works reliably (which is usually too long for wardriving).

Postby arkasha » Mon May 20, 2019 2:46 pm

that's interesting - nominally, Pie simply can't scan WiFi any faster - they limit it intentionally to 30s. Obviously, we're encouraging people to let Google know, but we haven't heard anything for a year now.

I think a lot of people are carrying older devices, from before they nerf'd Androids scanning capabilities... or even refusing upgrades, although that's fraught.

Android One -> Android One Scan Only. :/

Postby slobodan » Mon May 20, 2019 2:52 pm

AFAIK Google does its own wardriving. Do you know how to tap its database from my own phone?

Postby Iamien » Wed May 29, 2019 4:54 pm

Latest news is Android Q Beta 5+ will have a dev option to turn off the throttling.

https://issuetracker.google.com/issues/ ... comment103

Postby d2k2 » Mon Jun 03, 2019 4:11 pm

on the issue tracker somebody mentioned that splitscreening it with the build in wifi selection gives about 10seconds scan intervals.

i tried it, and it works!
[attachment=0]Screenshot_net.wigle.wigleandroid_split_wifi.png[/attachment]

it does only work as long as keep it split screened, and kind of makes it unusable for something like using a navigation software, or even turning the screen off.

But at least it gives 10 seconds intervals on my phone
Attachments
Screenshot_net.wigle.wigleandroid_split_wifi.png
Screenshot_net.wigle.wigleandroid_split_wifi.png (19.06 KiB) Viewed 55359 times

Postby mpeg4ever » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:40 pm

sorry I'm new to this term...what do you mean by "Pie" ?

thanks

Postby arkasha » Thu Jun 06, 2019 1:47 pm

android OS "P" - version 9.
The version after "Oreo" and before "Q"

46 posts • Page 2 of 4

Return to “WiGLE Frontpage”