Australian wardrivers

Wardrivers: find others in your area

31 posts • Page 2 of 3

Postby themacuser » Sat Sep 23, 2006 4:09 am

And at the moment, I'm planning to make a self-contained WRT54G kismet drone with GPS, that logs to a SD card. Or maybe we should just get a WRAP? Hmmm.

Postby ccie4526 » Sun Sep 24, 2006 9:18 am

I'm figuring that I'm gonna have to go with a WRT54G drone with the new laptop, so far I'm not optimistic with respect to getting the PCMCIA and IRQ sharing/routing problem working. Sigh.

Postby higgrobot » Sun Oct 01, 2006 4:54 am

I sometimes do a lap of Perth with a 15db panel velcro'd high to the passenger seat, have to get myself a GPS so i can share where i've been.

Postby KH » Sun Oct 01, 2006 3:55 pm

Casual stumblers normally uses :
Don't forget the difference in driving (or bicycling, or other transport mode)..
  • Casual
You sometimes bring the laptop along in wardriving mode
  • Regular
"Any drive can be a wardrive"
  • Hardcore
You plan routes to take on the map, comparing them with the wardrivemaps to see which will yield the best scores. Rising gas prices make you mutter and then you still go out to score a few extra nets.

Postby ccie4526 » Mon Oct 02, 2006 11:01 am

I sometimes do a lap of Perth with a 15db panel velcro'd high to the passenger seat, have to get myself a GPS so i can share where i've been.
Heh, spent the better part of a week running around Perth with my sniffer system on the hire car. Was a VERY productive week. Then did the same again in Brisbane and Gold Coast, and finally for a couple days in Cairns.

Good for about 37,500 APs in a single month. Woot!

Just today, got to experience truly virgin territory. The island of Guam. Look for them to show up on the map in the next day or two.

Postby arian1967 » Wed Dec 20, 2006 11:40 pm

G'Day I am in Brisbane and collecting wireless data for wigle.

http://www.brismesh.org/

Here is a local group of wireless users

Postby jackslade » Thu Jun 14, 2007 4:08 pm

Perth W.A here
Noob to it all.
But im hooked. :P :P

Postby y011 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 9:57 am

Bumping this since it's been 3 years since last post.

I'm in Melb. I have heaps of data on melb, cbr, syd, bris, GC, perth and adelaide most dating back to 2001 (old .ns1 data :-). I work "in the industry" and have been reluctant to share info. Oh and I'm lazy. Old data may be way pointless but I'll see if I can upload it right.

Postby bobzilla » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:23 am

old data beats no data :)
-bobzilla - WiGLE.net just a little bit

Postby y011 » Thu Oct 28, 2010 11:42 am

true dat.

i did it with good karma though... two WD notebooks ago my armada sported a hand-coloured Wigle sticker i got from a table at DC9 or 10 or something.

I have some good past runs in melb/syd CBD. over 5k nets in some single runs (although that would include IBSS, seen probes, etc). I have a hacked up wrapper script for my kismap setup to deal with looping through large data sets and variously parsing the .network/.xml files to rip out non BSS nets and make the pretty pictures.

I still use oldcore-kismet a lot too due to less mapping options and my general love of my canned mapping using kismap with all the hacks for gmaps, gearth, etc. Frankly it's like I went out of my way to not do the easy thing and upload data to Wigle and screen shot it. I have no good excuse for that really other than being a stubborn loner :-)

Several years ago we bought some aerial photography of Melbourne to use for mapping before google earth had good sat pics of melb. these days I'm happy enough to use open street maps map data. Either way we have to nudge and scale the background image 'by hand' which really sucks on a big drive.

Anyone heading to http://www.ruxcon.org.au in a few weeks stop by and say hi at the networks booth. you'll be using our wifis if you're there.

Postby uhtu » Fri Oct 29, 2010 10:22 am

i still have stains on my fingers from coloring those stickers.

it is a little known fact that they actually increase passive packet reception. true story.

Postby SuiadanEru » Mon Dec 05, 2011 1:55 am

Anyone from my area? Mid-North Coast, NSW?

Postby MDofPerth » Wed Jan 09, 2013 11:09 am

I've just gotten onto Wigle Net.
I've recently war-driven/ridden/walked a bit around South Perth, Como (where I live) and UWA (where I work).
Cheers, Mark.

Postby mada12 » Wed Aug 28, 2013 10:11 pm

I live near brisbane, just started
will scout the area on my MBA

Postby lankyninja » Thu Mar 20, 2014 2:12 pm

I'm from Sydney and stumble every now and then, however I don't have no fancy latop, I rely mostly on my Samsung Galaxy Note 3 and the WiggleWardrive android app, works well for the casual stumbling that I do...

31 posts • Page 2 of 3

Return to “Stumbler Meet and Greet”