Custom ROMs for wardriving?

The gear needed for wardriving

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby Wigler-0283819 » Thu Jun 29, 2023 11:24 am

Hi all, I picked up a Samsung Galaxy S8 from eBay for 50 bucks. I picked it up solely for wardriving with the official Wigle app.

Unfortunately, after ordering it I've realised that the highest Android version the S8 can support is Pie (9), which I recall has such strict and undisableable throttles on Wi-Fi scans, it's basically impossible to wardrive with. Are there any custom ROMs I could flash which would get along well with Wigle? I've never rooted/jailbroken a phone before, but I'm sure with a few guides from XDA I'll be able to figure it out.

Thanks

Postby arkasha » Thu Jun 29, 2023 8:06 pm

Well, if you're sophisticated enough to install a new OS:
first: try the adb trick to remove the throttle on 9; it doesn't work on every model/os. if it works, no need to resort to anything extreme. (

Code: Select all

adb shell settings put global wifi_scan_throttle_enabled 0
)
second: https://lineageos.org/ is pretty nice
Well, if you're sophisticated enough to install a new OS:
first: try the adb trick to remove the throttle on 9; it doesn't work on every model/os. if it works, no need to resort to anything extreme. (

Code: Select all

adb shell settings put global wifi_scan_throttle_enabled 0
)
second: https://lineageos.org/ is pretty nice
Thanks a! It seems to have worked really well, I'm getting 1 scan every 1-30ms at worst! Considering the human eye takes around 13-400x that to blink, I'd call that a win! It'll absolutely slaughter my battery life, I presume, but I imagine I'll pick up a lot more now!

In case you need it for any statistics on who it works/doesn't work for, I'm using a Samsung Galaxy S8 SM-G950U running Android 9

(Also, do I need to rerun that command every time I restart? Will security patch updates affect it?)

Postby arkasha » Mon Jul 10, 2023 3:50 pm

You shouldn't need to re-run every time, but installing updates MAY require it.
Keep us posted about your results?

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”