None of my results are showing up when Possible Free Net or Commercial Net is checked

Report issues with the site here. Please include browser and page information in your reports.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1
Hello there, new to the app and new to the site. Spent time driving around my neighborhood then uploaded my stats with no apparent problems.

When I visit the WiGLE website, enable the check box that says Found By Me, all my results look good and are plotted on the map - however - as soon as I check Possible Free or Commercial, the map just craps out and shows 0 results everywhere

This is clearly wrong, I passed dozens of free net during my scans

What do I do? What’s wrong with WiGLE ?
Hi there

Free and pay nets are flagged on an opportunistic basis based on known SSIDs - nets don't advertise whether they're free or for-pay in beacons (some folks are considering changing this). If you've got common patterns to add for free and pay, let us know. We used to drive this from our wiki, but then we learned how horrible it is to maintain a world-editable Wiki.
Hi arkasha thanks for getting back to me

I am a new user and I am not quite sure I understand - you are saying in the current state of things, there is no way to seperate open networks from closed networks using those checkmarks? It's only based on matching certain name matching, like the word "Free Internet" has to be in the SSID you're saying?

Very bizarre indeed - is there a way to just toggle networks that are at least open with no password?

Also your name matching must be missing a very common one for here in Canada which would be the word "Guest" - tons of open wifi's have GUEST in the title out here!

Sorry if this is confusing - just to confirm - I am looking for a way to toggle results found by me at the same time as "no password required"

Thanks very much
In case anyone else ends up here for the same reason: I cannot figure out how to make the functionality work to show only Open/Unknown encryption on the map, so you need to go to View -> Basic Search -> check "results only from me" and change encryption to first Open, then Unknown
sounds like you've found what you need.
Often times, pay networks will provide passwords to registered users or provide other optional authentication mechanisms.
Free networks often still require a password for simple security reasons.

The expressions we use to identify these networks do not rely on "GUEST" but rather on known, commonly-free or commonly-pay providers.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Site Bugs”