Daily Limits for new users.

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby harwooda » Thu Jan 11, 2024 4:57 pm

The problem/observation seems to be mentioned a few times but I'd like to bump it.

I registered with Wigle and was informed (before even doing anything) that my daily limit had been reached. I tried the API test script and could log in via the terminal so know my credentials and key were good. When I tried running a API call to return lat long for a given SSID it worked - twice. Than nothing but a helpful 429 error - nothing found. It turns out after wasn't time to figure it out that the API met a limit too.

Could there please be a more robust and accurate way to determine if the site is being abused vs actually presenting developers from tinkering with the data? I totally understand that unscrupulous people will abuse the site if given half a chance and that protections are needed...

If I can get my apps working I'd be happy to start loading data to the community. At the moment though it's so locked down I can't do anything. During development I am likely to need to do quite a lot of queries (bug fixing mainly as I am a bit crap at coding)...

Hope you can please help.

Thanks

Postby Dojos.Caution » Thu Feb 29, 2024 3:28 pm

Seconded.

I am a new user and I was just trying to see how easy it was to find my own network on the map. I had started querying on my phone where the map wasn't visible but I didn't know about the limits I made three queries before switching to my computer to see the map larger but when I got to my computer I was already at my daily limit. I waited until the next day assuming that my daily limit would be refilled and now it's been two days and still hitting the daily limit.

If nothing else, it would at least be nice to know how many queries I have left before hitting my limit and know when that limit will be refilled.

Thanks.

Postby arkasha » Thu Feb 29, 2024 5:59 pm

The site is being subjected to an unprecedented level of abuse - these unpleasant initial limits are the most reliable way of stopping it. Patience, and supplying evidence that you're human will remain the most reliable ways to raise the limits.

Postby graficcorp » Thu Feb 29, 2024 9:07 pm

The site is being subjected to an unprecedented level of abuse - these unpleasant initial limits are the most reliable way of stopping it. Patience, and supplying evidence that you're human will remain the most reliable ways to raise the limits.
Hello, how can I prove that I am a human?

Postby arkasha » Thu Feb 29, 2024 11:39 pm

If we told you in a public forum, or built you tools to inspect those limits our attackers would just use that information to further automate the abuse we're trying to eliminate.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”