Ninjastumbling!

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby gizmo53 » Sat Dec 25, 2004 3:55 am

DISCLAIMER: THIS IS ILLEGAL. DON'T TRY IT. I'M NOT ADVOCATING IT AT ALL. ITS JUST SOMETHING I'M THROWING OUT FOR LAUGHS.

Okay, so my friend and I are wardriving the area of town on the water, where all of the massive homes are. We see this huge mansion, and say to ourselves "there has to be an AP in there". However, we aren't going to go into their driveway because it says "no trespassing. driveway alarm". I said "I wish we could've gotten that AP so that it could go on WiGLE". Thus, the idea of Ninjastumbling was born.

:twisted:Essentially, while wardriving, you make a list of places that you are pretty sure has WiFi in it, but can't detect a signal. Then, at night, you drive up, and, in all black, run into range with your gps on your hat and laptop in bag, grab a packet or two, and run back out and drive away.

Yes, I know its Illegal. Yes, I know I could just use a directional antenna. But this way is sooo much more hardcore. :twisted: Just an idea that I thought was funny.

Postby ax0n » Sat Dec 25, 2004 5:31 am

Sir, that is what directional antennas are for.

Check out tin-can waveguide antennas or, "Cantennas" as they're often called, or look into getting a nice high-gain directional antenna

For situations such as yours, I've often found that warfloating is a great solution, if you have access to a boat that can get closer to the lake or riverfront homes than you could get from the road, and directional antennas don't seem to to the trick.

Best of all, it's legal.

Postby gizmo53 » Sat Dec 25, 2004 6:26 pm

Warfloating....
Never heard of that. I'll try that when it gets warmer, and i'll go out in my kayak like Phil Torrone of Engadget.

I knew that I could use a directional antenna. check the post.

Postby frogman » Sat May 21, 2005 10:33 pm

Sir, that is what directional antennas are for.

Check out tin-can waveguide antennas or, "Cantennas" as they're often called, or look into getting a nice high-gain directional antenna

For situations such as yours, I've often found that warfloating is a great solution, if you have access to a boat that can get closer to the lake or riverfront homes than you could get from the road, and directional antennas don't seem to to the trick.

Best of all, it's legal.
Dude! Warfloating, in a great neighborhood! We gotta get my in-laws to rent a boat so we could warfloat Lakewood! Thar'b hun'r'ds o' APs 'rand 'ere! HUN'R'DS! How cool would the map of the lake be with the shore outlined in APs?

Postby JF1980 » Fri Jul 08, 2005 4:00 pm

Best of all, it's legal.
Why is that best? Typical cog in the machine ;)

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”