Hardware advice needed.

The gear needed for wardriving

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby ehicks727 » Tue Sep 06, 2005 1:20 am

I currently have this order into Moonblink. However, it's been on backorder for almost three weeks now and I'm considering cancelling my order.

I'm looking for the best wardriving kit that I can get my hands on. I need something with considerable range, I liked the idea of the 11dbi antenna, but if I can get something more, then that's better (I just liked that the order above was all in a kit and I was assured it would work well together). Now that I may cancel the order, I need some education about PCMCIA cards and external antennas and how they play together.

I was considering this 18dbi antenna and this Z-Com card. The card said it had 200/300 mw output, which looks like more than the Orinoco that I originally ordered. Am I correct in assuming that more output = better reception? Is this a good setup, as far as the card matching the antenna?

An alternative requirement that I'd like to satisfy is the ability to add a parabolic 24dbi antenna at a later date. So, will the Z-Com card play well with this kind of antenna?

Lastly, if someone can point out a better kit (card, antenna, and required pigtales, etc.) somewhere else, then I'm all ears! I have about $300 to spend on this project.

Thanks for any advice.

Postby DrSeuss » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:32 am

You can have all the output in the world but if your antenna is low db then you're not going to pick up much. I myself have an Orinoco classic gold with 18dbi omni antenna, works great. I'v hit stuff up to 10 miles away, line of sight providing, but still good for an omni. $300 is a lot for a war driving kit. Orinoco card, antenna, laptop mount for my car and power inverter for the laptop all cost me about 110 total with shipping, all off ebay. Make sure if you do not go with a orinoco gold classic you ask who your buying it from is it actually supports an external antenna, lots of cards don't. Never seen one in a store like Best Buy or the like that supported ext antenna. Hope this answered some of your questions.

Postby ehicks727 » Wed Sep 07, 2005 3:53 am

Thanks for replying. Your info helps. I've opted for the 18dbi flat panel antenna for now and I'll try to find an 18dbi omni at a later time.

thanks again.

Postby elevman » Fri Sep 09, 2005 1:22 am

Try this..
http://www.seattlewireless.net/index.cg ... e6926bf1cb

i have the SMC 2535W-B It has a 200mW rating and a pretty good receive sensitivity.. it was around 60 bucks from Dell.. it has two conn for antenna. The best thing is that it is a prism2 card that works well if you want to tried to crack your own WEP. You can do 128wep keys in about 10min all together. I also have a Orinico but didnt really like it.

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”