funny stories

Talk about whatever

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby amazingldy » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:17 pm

Anyone have any funny stories of information encountered while wardriving?

Just looking for ideas to put in my screenplay.

Jazzlady

Postby israel » Tue Oct 25, 2005 4:47 pm

Anyone have any funny stories of information encountered while wardriving?

Just looking for ideas to put in my screenplay.

Jazzlady
Check out my Chronicles of a Wardriver site for actual wardriving adventures and experiences. Just an FYI, wardriving is pretty boring to non-wardrivers. You are basically driving around without a specific destination other than your target area. Once you have completed your route, you go back home and upload your log files to WiGLE. That is pretty much it. Wardrivers really can't hang out together because if they are looking for WiGLE stats then they are in constant competition. Two wardrivers really can't wardrive together because they are being redundant and the idea of uploading to WiGLE is NEWLY DISCOVERED data, not redundant data. Hence, the conflict... I spend my time alone wardriving most of the time when I can't find a navigator to help me in navigating using my mapping system. Most of the time I am sitting in the vehicle with my wardriving system in the trunk and my navigation system in the passenger seat. I have to memorize my routes or use the speech routing in Microsoft Streets and Trips 2006 to assist me so that I don't have to keep looking.

Some stories you may hear about wardriving include falling asleep at the wheel, losing power and corrupting your hardrives, wardriving in a tunnel and losing the GPS signal, getting a flat tire, reading funny SSIDs, getting plain lost, wondering if you are going to get pulled over, finding a place to use the restroom, finding a place to eat, finding a place to get gas, running out of gas... etc. Yup that is pretty much it.

Let me know if you have any other questions :)

Israel Torres
[url=http://www.chroniclesofawardriver.org/]Chronicles of a Wardriver[/url]
[url=http://www.chroniclesofawardriver.org/][img]http://www.chroniclesofawardriver.org/chroniclesofawardriver.org_logthemall_letwiglemapthemout_anix400.gif[/img][/url]

Postby uhtu » Tue Oct 25, 2005 5:54 pm

to be fair: there's more value in redundant data than new data.
just harder to express in the stats page at the moment.

Postby argh » Wed Nov 02, 2005 4:31 am

i live in a very rural area, 12 miles from the nearest pepsi machine. the act of "going to town" is usually enough to warrant me hooking up the stumbling apparatus. cheap AP's have fallen in price to USD $20 or less, so there are always more to be found.

funny information while wardriving is usually in the form of funny SSID's. my wife usually takes navigator job while driving, and enjoys looking at the names go by ("Look, this one is named 'Jim sucks at golf"). the only other information you see while wardriving is GPS data, and basic stats about the networks. here's a couple of wardriving/GPS stories.

one time my wife and i were returning from town at night, and as we pulled onto our gravel road were astonished to see the lights come on behind me. i was being pulled over by a highway patrolman. i was running Kismet and GPSdrive on a Debian laptop. i hit Shift-Q to exit Kismet as i was stopping, and left GPSdrive running on the laptop. the laptop is solidly mounted to a console between two bucket seats in a full-size van. i do not log the dump file in Kismet, and i have every reason to believe that i am legal, but i was not wanting to depend on defending that position at the roadside. the trooper was an accident investigator coming to measure tire tracks from a previous accident, and said that i had crossed the center line. this was from a two-lane rural asphalt road (with no shoulder), my turn is a 180 degree hairpin onto gravel. crossing the center line at the moment of turning off is usually needed to avoid mailboxes. when asked, i explained to the trooper (who could plainly see the little arrow was drawing my track) that i was a GPS hobbyist and amateur cartographer. he then became quite interested and chatty about the whole concept. GPS navigation is fairly common in new cars, and the subject of wireless networks did not come up, and i did not bring it up.

another time my wife and i were heading on a long drive that i was anticipating, because it would take us into an urban area. my normally reliable laptop (it's a very old P2/450 Gateway) locked up while driving and would not get past the GRUB boot. i normally can fix most Linux installs if something goes wrong, but we were late, and had to keep driving. i had my wife rummage through the laptop bag, and found some install CD's, and i talked her through re-installing the whole thing while driving. 45 minutes later we resumed wardriving without coming to a halt.

a couple of years ago, my wife volunteered her geek husband to help find the survey pins on some land her boss was considering purchasing, and the propery line was in dispute. it was very early spring, sunny, and a nice day for a walk. we entered the waypoints into two GPSs, then parked the car in the middle of the moderately wooded 40 acres. we found all the surveyor pins fine, took pictures and were congratulating ourselves. the problem was, it was now dark, we had spent the last couple of hours in declining light walking through woods, and we couldn't find the car. the original plan didn't allow for it to take this long. two GPSs, and we didn't think to set a waypoint where the car was! we hadn't enabled a track, so there was no backtracking. we could plainly see that our house was 'that way', about 8 miles. we could see that the highway was only three miles 'that other way', but didn't really want to walk out/hitchhike and leave the car. it was now about 35 degrees, and enough wind to be COLD. we finally spread out, and started criss-crossing until we found the car.

we have done a few GPS hikes since, and we take space blanket, water, and set a waypoint for the car.

4 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “General Grabbag”