NS File size Upload Question

Talk about whatever

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby hbest » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:16 am

I have DSL so uploading what I guess are fairly large files is not a problem at my end. But, at what file size should I compress the file? Does it help, hurt, or is it no big deal as far as Wigle is concerned? The largest file I have uploaded is 15,856,610, with my average file size is about have of the file just mentioned. I just want to be a "good" citizen. :wink: Thanks for any info. hbest

Postby littledave » Sat Mar 04, 2006 2:44 am

I have DSL so uploading what I guess are fairly large files is not a problem at my end. But, at what file size should I compress the file? Does it help, hurt, or is it no big deal as far as Wigle is concerned? The largest file I have uploaded is 15,856,610, with my average file size is about have of the file just mentioned. I just want to be a "good" citizen. :wink: Thanks for any info. hbest
You know that is a good question. How large of an file will Wigle take?
Should I worry about re-driving the same area, and uploading the same Aps?

Postby NetBandit » Sun Mar 05, 2006 5:23 pm

Be a good citizen and compress the file. It'll save bandwidth for everyone.

Postby mark571 » Sun Mar 05, 2006 7:47 pm

Be a good citizen and compress the file. It'll save bandwidth for everyone.
Absolutely! Well said. I ".tar.gz" all my uploads of which all are multiple files into one compressed file that WiGle uncompresses and runs. I usually have ~100 - 200 MB uncompressed Kismet files that compress down to one ~ 5 - 6 MB file that I upload.

As per the note on this page. "Note that you can send an individual file gzip'd, and if it ends in '.gz' it will be gunzip'd before being read (gzip is not the same as pkzip or winzip). You may send a gzipped tar archive - if the file name ends in '.tar.gz' the individual members will be extracted and processed sequentially. You may send one or more files pkzipped (compressed using zip/winzip/pkzip/others), and they will be processed sequentially, although please note that new filenames will be assigned during processing."

Postby NetBandit » Mon Mar 06, 2006 4:02 am

If you are using Windoze, the 7-Zip program works well to compress your files to .gz. Also, I merge all my netstumbler files into a single file, like w1234.ns1 before I post. And, of course, I have archived every post I've ever made.

Postby mark571 » Mon Mar 06, 2006 1:02 pm

GZip for Windows is also another alternative if you're not using *nix.

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “General Grabbag”