How does the GPS thing work?

The gear needed for wardriving

9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby VoKuS » Thu Nov 23, 2006 10:29 pm

I recently went on a trip to San Francisco from Sacramento, CA. I ran NetStumbler on my laptop and by the time I got back home I had over 8000 wireless networks show up in that little program. It was a basic hp laptop with an internal card, no antenna...

Anyway, how do you guys map the locations with the GPS. How does the GPS know what direction the wireless connection is going from and how does the GPS map this.

Can some one explain the concept behind this to me? Is is accurate?

Postby Dutch » Fri Nov 24, 2006 5:30 pm

I recently went on a trip to San Francisco from Sacramento, CA. I ran NetStumbler on my laptop and by the time I got back home I had over 8000 wireless networks show up in that little program. It was a basic hp laptop with an internal card, no antenna...

Anyway, how do you guys map the locations with the GPS. How does the GPS know what direction the wireless connection is going from and how does the GPS map this.

Can some one explain the concept behind this to me? Is is accurate?
The GPS logs the position where YOU are, not where the AP is. So the location is where you detected the AP, and with enough observations and taking into account such factors as signal strength, Wigle makes an educated guess (correct term "Triangulation") on where to put the dot on the map.

Use google and search for the following keywords "How GPS works", "RF Direction finding","Signal triangulation" if you want to know more.

Dutch
[url=http://www.wigle.net/gps/gps/StatGroup/listusers?groupid=20041206-00006][img]http://home19.inet.tele.dk/dutch/netstumblerwigle.gif[/img][/url]

Postby bukzin » Mon Dec 18, 2006 12:00 am

I have 'MS Streets and Trips' with a USB GPS antenna;
very basic set-up.

How does one configure Wigle for this GPS equipment?

Thanks,
Bukzin

Postby argh » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:15 pm

sorry for the dupe, i was getting an error, but it was posting. plz delete these dupes.
Last edited by argh on Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby argh » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:16 pm

sorry for the dupe, i was getting an error, but it was posting. plz delete these dupes.
Last edited by argh on Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:39 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby argh » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:45 pm

Last edited by argh on Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:40 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby argh » Mon Dec 18, 2006 3:52 pm

Last edited by argh on Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby argh » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:46 pm

Last edited by argh on Mon Dec 18, 2006 6:41 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby argh » Mon Dec 18, 2006 4:46 pm

Wigle is the website here that totals up what everyone finds. You need to install a program on your laptop/PDA to enumerate wireless networks, and it will use the GPS to associate a location with where you are when you see them. Since you are running Windows, Netstumbler would be a good choice.

After a drive, you go to the Post File link here on Wigle, and upload your results.

9 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”