Purpose of WiGLE

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby Khanhfucio » Sun Dec 03, 2006 1:08 am

Im not exactly sure I understand the purpose of WiGLE. Whats the point?

I uploaded my .ns1 file, but what was the point to that?

Im new to this, so go easy on me.

Postby uhtu » Sun Dec 03, 2006 7:44 am

that's a very existential question.

we draw maps, and then we draw points on maps.
the maps are derived from US census and VMAP0 data, mostly.
the points are derived from hundreds of millions of aggregate observations of millions of networks from thousands of people just like you. (depending on your belief system, of course. there's noone just like me.)

Postby KH » Thu Dec 07, 2006 8:45 am

It is. Wigle is an addiction. You come back constantly with new wardrive logs, looking for that high of seeing 'New networks found with GPS locations'. Looking at slowly going up and down in the ranks. Planning detours through the city to visit 'uncharted' parts or revisiting streets you haven't seen in a while. Making scripts to generate maps of places you have visited or haven't visited in a while.

Postby i_do_dew » Mon Dec 11, 2006 1:27 am

It is a good reason to go a different way and see different things.

Postby pejacoby » Wed Dec 13, 2006 3:41 am

It is. Wigle is an addiction.
Absolutely true. Somebody keeps pushing me back towards #100 in the stats, so I go drive a bit farther, a bit more out of the way, off to a new quadrant of a neighboring suburb I haven't wandered yet. Then I'm back at #94...for a day or two ;-)

And it IS a great way to explore; I know more about what's in my city and it's surrounding areas then I ever have before.

Postby bobzilla » Wed Dec 20, 2006 7:57 pm

That was a surprising bit of fun, seeing bits of the city I've never seen. Plus my long-way-around mis-routing starts to serve a purpose.

Postby i_do_dew » Mon Feb 12, 2007 8:58 am

That was a surprising bit of fun, seeing bits of the city I've never seen. Plus my long-way-around mis-routing starts to serve a purpose.

I like to joke that war driving has given me a cabbies knowledge of whatever city I'm in while doing it. After just a year of driving I know shortcuts that even natives don't know. A major accident at a common choke point? no problem, drive over three blocks and there is a road with no traffic lights or stop signs that goes the same place or nearly so - found while war driving. I even beat one co-worker to his house from work. he took the highway around and I cut through the city bypassing lights, or better since I know their timings in a lot of places...catching them all green.

7 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”