New at Wardriving and what i want to buy

The gear needed for wardriving

6 posts • Page 1 of 1
Hi. I have read the last days muchs threads about software and hardware.
I want to find some WLans with my car and sometimes with my bike.

Here is the list what i want to buy. I want to use linux and kismet.

laptop: Don`t know, something for ~500€
gprs: explorist 210 (i have bought it a year ago)
card: Proxim World 128RC4 Kit ORiNOCO Gold (i want to buy at ebay)
antenna:
5 dBi WLAN Antenne mit Magnetfuß 1,0 m Kabel TP-Link (ebay too)

I think thats all what i need.
What do you think. Is this hardware the right one to do what i want or sucks something?

I hope you can help me. I don`t want to buy some wrong things...

Thanks
Here is the list what i want to buy. I want to use linux and kismet.
Proxim World 128RC4 Kit ORiNOCO Gold (i want to buy at ebay)
antenna:
5 dBi WLAN Antenne mit Magnetfuß 1,0 m Kabel TP-Link (ebay too)
First of all: The orinoco cards I have seen have a special antenna connector. I don't think it will match the antenna you suggest. Check this to make sure it will work.

Second: The orinoco card is an ok choice for wardriving. It will need some work to get a driver compiled with a 2.4.x kernel. New distros and specialized wardriving distros will probably be easy with this card.

Third: when wardriving with a bike, your laptop will undergo the bumps of the road. This means some cable connectors will wear out eventually, and other connections may be flaky in use.

Postby argh » Tue Mar 06, 2007 3:33 pm

hi, old Orinoco cards with Hermes I chipset are an ok choice for wardriving (good card, moderate sensitivity). newer Proxim versions are often not usable with Kismet/Linux, because they use a Broadcomm chipset and will not go into monitor mode. Kismet requires monitor mode, you might look around on their site for more info, they maintain a list of supported wireless cards.

Postby themacuser » Thu Mar 08, 2007 7:56 am

If you can, get a prism2 card such as the Senao NC-2511-EXT2 (be careful not to end up with the prism3 version). Two antenna sockets, they're MMCX (easier to find connectors for than MCCard), and there's diversity (stick 2 antennas on it as opposed to the orinoco's 1).

It's also got a MUCH better receive sensitivity (i.e. it can hear weaker signals). It's supported in passive mode in kismet.

Your antenna is also a SMA antenna - wrong connector. For the Orinoco, you'll need MCCard.

Something like this: http://cgi.ebay.com/7dBi-6-Magnetic-OMN ... dZViewItem

I've got the same antenna in N-type, with a MMCX to N pigtail on it.

Also, I assume you've got a way of attaching your GPS to your computer, if not, you'll need one.

Postby argh » Sat Mar 10, 2007 11:39 pm

Aerics, KH is a bigtime bicycle wardriver here, he can offer you a lot of tips i am sure on the realities of using a bike. ax0n here also has been doing it by bike as well.

Postby mokum » Mon May 07, 2007 8:48 am

If you want to wardrive and get a LOT of signal: go linksys with kismet.

It is extremly cheap [a WRTG54 is often cheaper then a 'good' WiFi card] and most certainly better.

I have 'a couple' of WRT's in my setup that I use [both in car and on my bike.

Cheers,
mokum
[url=http://www.forgottenhonor.com][img]http://banner.forgottenhonor.com/hoststuff/public/FHT4-banner.jpg[/img][/url]

6 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”