My rig -- just got it, just broke it

The gear needed for wardriving

1 post • Page 1 of 1

Postby dstrout » Fri Aug 05, 2005 2:32 pm

Howdy, all! I just got up and running, and now I think I've already broken my gear :cry:

My setup:
IBM T40 laptop
Redhat enterprise workstation 3
Senao NL-2511DC Plus EXT2 & 5.5db magnetic antenna
Holux GM-210 USB GPS
using wlan-ng drivers, gpsd, and kismet

Without the GPS, the Senao was working great. I got the GPS last night, and it works great.

[ Note: To make the holux driver compile under RHEL, you need to either make a link in /usr/src from 'linux' to 'linux-2.4' or change the Makefile to use linux-2.4 as the src tree ]

Anyway, about the same time, I managed to close the antenna cable in the laptop lid (sigh). I don't see any damage to the cable, but the one socket on the card is a bit loose now, so I am using the other antenna socket.

Problem is that when I do anything that "closes" the card, like exit kismet, the machine panics. This is new -- the card was working fine. So I don't know for sure if it's the holux driver, or if I managed to damage the card somehow. I suspect the later.

I also can no longer see the card outside of kismet. If I try to bring up 'wlan0', which used to work, it behaves as if the card isn't there, even right after a fresh boot. When I run kismet, it sees it and uses it.

Anyway, I just posted my first file to Wigle this am, and, providing I can figure out why I keep kernel panicing, I hope to post more.

dave.
1 post • Page 1 of 1

Return to “Net Hugging Hardware and Software”