How can we get accurate up to date data from WIGLE?

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

13 posts • Page 1 of 1
I've been contributing for a few months now and have found your web map takes as long as a week to update plus it hangs when trying to zoom in and out or move about. I've also noticed when I try to see just my discoveries (filter) it only shows a tiny fraction of my total, even when they were uploaded weeks earlier.

Also whats with the 60k limit? None of the suggested work arounds work,
restart Jigle/Digle or splitting the county up. Try to get a working digle/jigle map of Harris county Tx.

Why can't you lift the limit for those that are contributing verses those that don't?

I feel really stupid when I burn $70 worth of gas only to yield 30% new because of poor map data. :oops:

Postby bobzilla » Sun Aug 28, 2005 5:07 am

Sorry to hear you're having trouble. The web maps update every night, so they are at most 24 hours out of sync.

To get JiGLE to grab the data you may need to delete the cache file(s) for the lat/longs in question and restart to get the newest data, as the last updated times may be out of order. This may be a symptom of a past client or server bug (but the ones i have in mind were fixed many months ago), or an undetected bug rearing it's head.

Postby ZeNiTH » Mon Sep 12, 2005 4:53 am

I noticed a while ago that some of my points weren't being recorded in the correct location a while ago, not sure if it was an error uploading the data or an error processing the files. You might want to zoom out and see if maybe some of your points have been misplaced a couple miles (mine were off about 30 miles south-east).

It could also be that your GPS was giving bad information, your stumbling program recorded it wrong, or that somehow they were processed incorrectly.

Postby scruge » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:28 pm

I track my own stumbles on Google earth and they are dead on.
Wigle maps are vintage and not accurate. But because I want to see where others have been I have to use Wigle, there in lies the problem.

Based on wigles data I drive an area that supposedly is virgin only to find a tank of gas later it wasn't.

Postby uhtu » Mon Sep 12, 2005 10:59 pm

please don't engage in a hobby if you can't afford it, or don't enjoy it.

there's no such thing as "unstumbled" territory.

everywhere is unstumbled. and everywhere is stumbled.

as to data inaccuracies: it happens. give us information, and we can try and find/fix the issue.

thanks!

Postby dr_who » Wed Dec 07, 2005 4:56 pm

I've got problems with some wifi walkabout (I walked around, it's not 'war driving') data I uploaded. Stats shows it was uploaded fine, if I run a query from the wigle web page it shows up, but it does not appear on jigle, in the bitmapped map, at all. Not even off by miles - it's simply NOT THERE.

I've quit and restarted jigle in an attempt to get fresh data, to no result.

This is particularly alarming, as I have a specific purpose I need to get my city (Cambridge) mapped - the city council wants to put in a municpial wifi network, and in order to prioritize coverage, they want to know how wif users are distributed throughout the city. I need to give them reasonably complete maps by the 13th.

Postby wrzwaldo » Wed Dec 07, 2005 6:57 pm

I've got problems with some wifi walkabout (I walked around, it's not 'war driving') data I uploaded. Stats shows it was uploaded fine, if I run a query from the wigle web page it shows up, but it does not appear on jigle, in the bitmapped map, at all. Not even off by miles - it's simply NOT THERE.

I've quit and restarted jigle in an attempt to get fresh data, to no result.

This is particularly alarming, as I have a specific purpose I need to get my city (Cambridge) mapped - the city council wants to put in a municpial wifi network, and in order to prioritize coverage, they want to know how wif users are distributed throughout the city. I need to give them reasonably complete maps by the 13th.
You could (should) invest in mapping software (MS S&T, Delorme SA, ...) then format your collected data to work with the software you have selected. IMHO I don't see your deadline as an issue for WiGLE or the administrators thereof (Unless you are paying for a subscription to WiGLE).

Walk it, Map it, Present it.

Postby dr_who » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:09 pm

>You could (should) invest in mapping software (MS S&T, Delorme SA, ...) >then format your collected data to work with the software you have >selected. IMHO I don't see your deadline as an issue for WiGLE or the >administrators thereof (Unless you are paying for a subscription to WiGLE).

Maybe you misunderstood me: I completely understand that this is a best-effort, no guarantees, volunteer project. My efforts to help the city are as well. No funds are available to pay for said software, or a wigle subscription.

I can try to use Kismet and it's mapping facility to create maps. However, I thought it would be better to contribute the data I had collected to WiGLE database.

Postby uhtu » Wed Dec 07, 2005 7:57 pm

we'll need more information than that inorder to debug your particular problem.

do you have any examples?

pm or the forum or mail wigle-admin@wigle.net

thanks.

Postby scruge » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:02 pm

>You could (should) invest in mapping software (MS S&T, Delorme SA, ...) >then format your collected data to work with the software you have >selected. IMHO I don't see your deadline as an issue for WiGLE or the >administrators thereof (Unless you are paying for a subscription to WiGLE).

Maybe you misunderstood me: I completely understand that this is a best-effort, no guarantees, volunteer project. My efforts to help the city are as well. No funds are available to pay for said software, or a wigle subscription.

I can try to use Kismet and it's mapping facility to create maps. However, I thought it would be better to contribute the data I had collected to WiGLE database.
Your problem could be possibly any of the following.
1. Wigle has misplaced your discovery credit and the net is no longer in your name. I've lost over 30k in the past few months.
2. The client is hitting the 6ok barrier and not able to resolve down the the necessary resolution to get your aps. I call them black holes its where cheaters hide their bogus nets so no one can find them. Like placing 200k nets in an area the size of football field. None of the clients can resolve down to .000001 degrees to dissect the nets out. What happens is your client maxs out before getting to your nets.

Postby wrzwaldo » Wed Dec 07, 2005 8:17 pm

No funds are available to pay for said software, or a wigle subscription.
S&T = $35.00

They won't spring for 35 dollars software? I hate to see their faces when they get hardware pricing! And AFAIK there is no WiGLE subscription.

Postby uhtu » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:08 pm

well.. there's that.
there is no such thing as lost credit. if you were logged in when you posted your files, they're recorded to you.

if you've got a specific issue, please do let us know via forum PM or wigle-admin@wigle.net, where the service is friendly and knowledgeable and only occasionally grumpy.

Postby scruge » Wed Dec 07, 2005 9:50 pm

I'm not sure how I would make my submission. I can say that my stats reflect 81k discovered nets.
After parsing the Wigle client files. I can find all my ns1 nets in the client's cache but the "userfound" field only has the correct info on 50+.

So how would I know which nets I discovered verses those I only recorded? My total nets is over 100k Plus I wasn't keeping copies of the upload reports. I didn't know they were just for the last 20 or so uploads, but I do now.

13 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”