Differential GPS

Talk about whatever

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby dr_who » Fri Dec 09, 2005 9:18 pm

Has anyone played around with differential GPS? I need it because the accuracy of data that I am putting into wiglenet is embarrassing.

Perhaps wigle should have a field in the data that indicates the certaintly of location.

Postby kevan » Fri Dec 09, 2005 10:22 pm

Has anyone played around with differential GPS? I need it because the accuracy of data that I am putting into wiglenet is embarrassing.

Perhaps wigle should have a field in the data that indicates the certaintly of location.
The locations you submit for an AP may not be the same as the ones you get out, via the web maps or queries, because wigle approximates the AP location by triangulating from all the locations it has for that AP. This has a tendancy to shift the AP off the road you travelled down. It's most noticible when going around a 90 degree bend as the AP's near the corner get 'rounded off.'

Postby k2mfw » Thu Feb 02, 2006 2:35 am

Don't even bother getting the bulky differential gps receiver add on. I have one for my boat. With the advent of WAAS, it's not worth the effort. You'd need the differential receiver and another antenna to lug around. I find that WAAS is very accurate. Sorry I don't have the technicals to back up my claims, only stating from experience and the practicality of it.

Postby wrzwaldo » Thu Feb 02, 2006 4:39 am

http://gps.faa.gov/Programs/WAAS/waas.htm

Postby k2mfw » Thu Feb 02, 2006 10:48 am

Thanks for that link...yes, most "newer" GPS receivers have the ability to turn on WAAS precision.

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “General Grabbag”