API to display no more than first 11000 entries?

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

13 posts • Page 1 of 1
Hi,

We recently wardrived an area in Europe (Switzerland) and we are willing to upload all that data. Now we encountered a problem using the
WiGLE-API: There - in the Wiki - it's noted that it "appears only to display the first 11000 entries...".

This means for us - and all users too - that it makes no sense to upload additional points because they hardly will get delivered.

* Any others who are struggling with this bug?
* What are the chances that this bug is being resolved (if good: when)?

-- Geonick

Postby mark571 » Fri Feb 10, 2006 12:41 am

It's not a bug. When I brought this issue up to the admins some weeks ago, I was told that particular query feature was becoming a resource issue and the put the limit on. They advised me that we can get the same information by using one of the WiGLE clients like JiGLE, etc.

Perhaps one of the admins will comment further on this and explain it better than I did.

I have 167,538 networks with GPS uploaded and I can get to them all with the JiGLE client and with the Web maps.
Last edited by mark571 on Sat Feb 11, 2006 2:03 pm, edited 1 time in total.
Thank you for the reply.

I see that this is a bandwith issue (which holds also for the nice WiGLE clients).

I thought WiGLE.net is a wireless network to share data in a two way sense.

So we found this cool programmatic access of the data to share the access points we wanted to upload.

What we want to do is to locate a WLAN receiver while rovering. While rovering there is no permanent internet access. So, for accomplishing this, we process access points data of an area - just like JiGLE but before hand. Its like browsers do chacheing, so its not the whole database we are looking for.

Postby uhtu » Sat Feb 11, 2006 8:36 pm

there is no API.
anything you happen to observe that looks like one to you is a coincidence, and subject to change.

we provide access to the wigle data (which does not include any sort of right to *use* the networks) to wigle.net clients and via the webmaps.
the clients all use /far/ less resources to get their data, jigle is open source, feel free to read it. there is still no API.

some day, when we have time and resources, we'll do an API, but right now we just can't commit either of those two limiting reagents.

Postby Dutch » Sun Feb 12, 2006 9:23 am

some day, when we have time and resources, we'll do an API, but right now we just can't commit either of those two limiting reagents.
I see a pattern here.. First Dolly the sheep, then rich people's pet cats, and finally Arkasha, Uhtu, and Bobzilla. Clone research has a purpose...

Dutch
[url=http://www.wigle.net/gps/gps/StatGroup/listusers?groupid=20041206-00006][img]http://home19.inet.tele.dk/dutch/netstumblerwigle.gif[/img][/url]
Hi uhtu,

I've looked at JiGLE and this and your service ist great work!

I can understand your bandwidth concerns. But please, let me explain and ask again in order to understand you.

What we are planning to do is to dowload a certain area, typically a country in order to use it offline for a while. Then this data would be used for a certain time without any interaction with WiGL.net until next update comes. This update would ideally use 'lastupdt' eg. lastupdt>20010925174546. This would be in fact a more parsimonious usage than the clever JigLE client.

1. I don't want to bee too picky, but the policy (eula.html) says "WiGLE grants you a non-exclusive right to use the maps and access point database"
=> Would such an "acceess of point database" touch some rights you are claiming?

2. WiGLE seems to be one of the most well known repositories in the domain and it lives from wardriving donations. So benefit for mapping and for you when everybody uploads localized access points is obvious.
=> Would you then discourage us from uploading our data to WiGLE.net when we want to share it and to get it programmatically back?

Postby uhtu » Mon Feb 13, 2006 4:46 am

look, its not just bandwidth. its attention to detail, and ability to change.
there is a *TON* of work that goes into supporting an API, and we are electing to not do that now.

there is obviously programmatic access to wigle.net data; people use it every day. JiGLE and DiGLE are both programs with access to the dataset, and JiGLE is open source. caveat hacker.

the conditions of use for wigle's services preclude you offering a database for use online, offline, or otherwise if used by more than one person. you are not allowed to revend wigle data. period.
what you do with your own stumble data is your own business. if you'd like
to throw them into the whole general observed-network-beacon miasma that is wigle: yaay, more points on maps! if not: yaay.

I'm touched you've finally decided to grace wigle with your illustrious presence, but really: people have been using this site continuously for four years, alternately amused and horrified by the occasionally pretty results.
Still not sure whether you understand my intention... There is no re-distribution; it's only synch'ing before hand instead of real-time like in JiGLE. Even open source services have to care with protocols and change. But it's Ok; you're basically saying that "WiGLE is there, use it like it is, but don't use it in a different way we've not foreseen".

Postby uhtu » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:12 am

read the source, please. find your own answers.

JiGLE dosen't pull down the whole of existance every time, and does its data fetching in a relatively efficient manner. and people use wigle in new and bizarre ways every single day, its laughable to think we've planned it all out (as any of our many long-time users would no doubt agree :-)

and if anyone ever anticipated anything at all correctly: they weren't trying hard enough.
I found my answers. Our application works now the way I've described above - and it seems that it is as efficient as it can having those offline constraints.

I'd suggest that any pagestart-value higher than 10000 shouldn't return the pages 10001-11000 but 0 pages, eventually combined with an error.

Thank you for your attention.

Postby uhtu » Tue Feb 14, 2006 1:47 pm

if you're using pagestart at all, your application isn't working fine.
proper programmatic access isn't paged.

Postby Geonick » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:28 pm

Come on: This is the third time you either ignore my question or give only partial answer.

I did not say I'm using pagestart (I use the QueryFactory). But for those who do - or have to guess they have to - it would be great if there would exist a proper behavior as well as perhaps some usage notes around.
Last edited by Geonick on Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:59 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Postby uhtu » Wed Feb 15, 2006 4:38 pm

i'm pretty sure responses don't count as ignoring.
we do not offer an API currently. that's just how it is.

we will make changes to our interfaces as we see fit, to keep the site running, and prevent abuses as we detect them.

i'm sorry if that's not to your liking, but its the harsh reality.

13 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”