PlaceLab stumble format accepted?

Suggestions for WiGLE/JiGLE/DiGLE

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Postby coldje » Thu Apr 20, 2006 3:57 am

One more question. I've collected 566 new, unique APs in my area. When I upload the individual trace log, the Upload Status page will show only one network discovered. The Upload Status will show the individual trace log was processed successfully. If I use WinZip 10 to compress many trace logs, the processing of the file will fail.

If I get the JiGLE map for my county and put on the filter Only Networks Discovered by Me, it shows nothing. I don't understand.

Postby Dutch » Thu Apr 20, 2006 7:38 am

One more question. I've collected 566 new, unique APs in my area. When I upload the individual trace log, the Upload Status page will show only one network discovered. The Upload Status will show the individual trace log was processed successfully. If I use WinZip 10 to compress many trace logs, the processing of the file will fail.

If I get the JiGLE map for my county and put on the filter Only Networks Discovered by Me, it shows nothing. I don't understand.
http://wigle.net/gps/gps/main/postfile

Do you see PlaceLab mentioned anywhere on that page ?

AFAIK, the only place where you can upload PlaceLab tracefiles, are at the PlaceLab website.
PlaceLab is an Intel sponsored research project into the development of a GPS independent Location System, have around 1/84'th the number of locationdata uploading users Wigle has, (29 vs 2437) and less than 1/64'th the number of networks logged (92,233 vs 5,916,530).
There's absolutly no contest between the wealth of data available + features on Wigle, versus what PlaceLab has.
Furthermore, Placelab haven't any description on their site, for what and how, or by whom the data you submit is going to be used.

Personally, I wouldn't support that project with a 20 feet pole, untill they at least get an EULA on the datausage, similar to the one Wigle applies to their dataset.

Dutch
[url=http://www.wigle.net/gps/gps/StatGroup/listusers?groupid=20041206-00006][img]http://home19.inet.tele.dk/dutch/netstumblerwigle.gif[/img][/url]

Postby uhtu » Thu Apr 20, 2006 12:39 pm

what format is the stumble in (what tool did you use to collect it)?

if you can provide us with the transaction id, we can probably get a look at it and see what the problem was.

thanks,

Postby uhtu » Thu Apr 20, 2006 4:27 pm

yeeeeaaaah. while amusing, that's not really a stumble format
(even by our very low standards.)

placelab may have tools available to transform that into a more normal stumble format like wi-scan or NS1, which you could repost. or such a converter tool might be creatable with their toolkits.

hrm. a bablefish for stumbleformats...

Postby Tech^CF » Sat Apr 29, 2006 12:07 pm

The found 1 network thing also happens when you submit WiFiFoFum2 XML files. At least that tool supports .ns1 exports (and more)

5 posts • Page 1 of 1

Return to “WiGLE Project Suggestions”